KE pass scores for 2012

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mike1880

Re: KE pass scores for 2012

Post by mike1880 »

haly wrote:Surely Mike , it's ' illegal ' to have more places available to one gender than another .
An obvious point that also struck me while I was writing my reply :lol: . Some years ago B'ham was sued for not providing equal GS places for girls, hence why Five Ways became co-ed:

http://www.equalrightstrust.org/ertdocu ... ouncil.pdf

The fact that it meant there were now fewer places for boys doesn't seem to have been seen as an issue... :?

Mike
anxious_mother

Post by anxious_mother »

MSD wrote:Thanks anxious_mother. Does the letter mention the minimum standardised mark to gain a place or the standardised mark for your child?
Not sure what you said but the standardised score for my child given here is based upon the total achieved and not for 2 or more subjects individually.
KenR

Post by KenR »

I've put a sticky at the top of the B/Ham sections with the provisional pass scores (excluding KE Aston which I don't have - please let me know if you find out) and average min Std scores
MSD

Post by MSD »

Apologies for not explaining my question clearly.

Well, basically prior to 2010 paper the Birmingham KE consortium used to seperately standardise the three elements of the exam giving each one equal weightage irrespective of the amount of questions in each element. Hence, the scores were in 300's. However, since 2010 they standardise on two elements, giving 50% weightage to English and the rest to Maths and NVR.

Warwickshire and Walsall have also used the Durham CEM style papers but from the information I have gathered through other posters Warwickshire have stuck to the 3 way standardisation.

Therefore, if your DC's score was in 200's then Walsall must be using two way standardisation else they are using the 3 way process.

MSD
um

Post by um »

Walsall seems to be erring more on the 2-way system. To explain:

The VR (Literacy skills) had 123 points.
The Numerical section had 67 points.
The NVR section had 44 points.

Total 234 questions.

These are 'raw' points available. It is not exactly 50/50 between English/MathsNVR, but is nearly there.
anxious_mother

Post by anxious_mother »

MSD,
To explain clearly neither is his score in 200s nor is it in 300s. They have given me one standardised score in 100s based upon on the total he achieved . Additionally it said 96 places in year 7 have been offered to those who were ranked in the top 201 of those who sat the exam i.e. 844.
I can't understand that if only 96 places are there how they can arrive to 201 :x
Mike or um can explain maybe ?
anxious_mother

Post by anxious_mother »

KenR,
can you also help me understand ?
um

Post by um »

Ok, my son's raw score was standardised down and was in the early 100s (despite being very high in ranking), so your son's score sounds fine being in the 100s. I can't imagine anyone's was in the 200s.

Some boys like my son, who sat the test and were able to attain a high position, will actually be going to higher preference school choices, for example Grammar schools closer to home.

Hence because of all these boys ending up somewhere else, not QM, they have offered places down to no201 on their list, to make their 96 places up.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Just to clarify - I'm afraid I don't know the QM pass scores or even if the paper was the same as the KE Consortium paper - I know it's Univ of Dirham CEM now but that's all
MSD

Post by MSD »

I was under the impression that standardised score of 100 in a particular subject area represented the average score for all children who sat that exam, in a particular age group. So surely a score under 200 can't be a standardised score for a candidate who passed the exam. It will either be the raw score or the average of standardise scores across all the subject elements.

MSD