Advice - Solihull Langley or BV?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hermanmunster

Re: Advice - Solihull Langley or BV?

Post by hermanmunster »

I am a great GS fan (+ GS that tuned indie).... I travelled every day from Solihul to KEHS for 7 years - great school but I found the travel a huge waste of the time and got very fed up with it - got a dab hand at doing homework on the bus though :lol: :lol:

So I agree re the huge distance to BV from Solihull and whether it is really worth it in terms of the education.

re OU - kids can still get YASS modules at a cheap rate or free

http://www8.open.ac.uk/choose/yass/what-yass" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
still hopeful?

Post by still hopeful? »

KenR wrote: To the PROs I would add
That may get better Univ offers for Langley over BV
Can you explain that a bit more? Is there data for Langley on what universities their intake end up at?
um

Post by um »

Maybe I am missing something but you can't apply to Uni from Langley as there is (currently) no post-16 provision.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

True there is no sixth form!

re the comments abou university places ... best do some searches on terms such as :

grammar independent universities discriminate
here is the starter for 10:

http://www.ngsa.org.uk/news-2011-01.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Hi Still hopefull,

I am coming in this debate a bit late and I have to add that I don’t know anything about Langley school as we live in Sutton, but my first reaction would be to move house if you have only one DS (or if it is easy to find places in good primaries for your other DC). If you look now on the market, you should be able to move house this summer ( or maybe one or two months later which is still alright).
hermanmunster wrote:I am a great GS fan (+ GS that tuned indie)....
We can shake hands, Hermanmunster! :D
And I also love indies when they are free and up the league table, but that's just for very few bright pupils in very particular circumstances :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!
hermanmunster wrote:True there is no sixth form!

re the comments abou university places ... best do some searches on terms such as :

grammar independent universities discriminate
here is the starter for 10:

http://www.ngsa.org.uk/news-2011-01.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How interesting!

I have to add that the government has already put in place a scheme called something like 'A to B' to allow pupils with lower grades to enter competitive courses (while having a B instead of the A required) when their parents didn't have the chance to go to uni.
So some schemes ARE already in place.

I do hope the government won't touch anything concerning GS!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: Or it should recreate ones!!! :D :D :D What a pity some many were closed in the sixties and seventies!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Here is an old article concerning that matter:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... dmits.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
still hopeful?

Post by still hopeful? »

After a visit to the school this morning (without DS1 - he can't bear to miss school), we've decided to accept BV :D

We think BV will be best for him academically. The facilities, numerous school trips abroad and (apparently), more active/varied clubs also helped persuade us.

We'll need to think more about travel options and the (eventual), move 'project' - but at least this decision is over.

Thank you all for your posts & PM's that helped us so much!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now