KE Sample Questions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

KE Sample Questions

Post by DIY Mum »

Anyone else registered their dc online and seen the sample questions?

Was there a "choose the correct word from a choice of four in a missing passage" in last year's paper?

There is a cloze test where you have to "complete the word on the right so that it means the same as the word on the left"

e.g big : lar_ _
quarrel : _ _ _ _ ment

There's no synonyms or antonyms but from the above example, it seems as if they've combined it with the cloze.
The maths, nvr and comprehension sections seem to be the same.
UmSusu

Re: KE Sample Questions

Post by UmSusu »

Wow. You're quick! :D

I thought we had another few weeks until we register.

Last year they added in the jumbled words sentence and this year they are changing the vocab section........ I guess they want to keep everyone on their toes :lol:

Everyone kept saying the vocab was getting too predictable for those who have tutors with lists of all that has come up in the past - but I was hoping for another year before they change anything too drastically. Oh well .......
UmSusu
lottie78

Post by lottie78 »

Hi,
I printed them off and Ds had a go... He did ok, he still struggles with question wording sometimes especially in Maths. He'll read it and say can't do it because he's not understanding what is been asked. Once I explain he's fine( not much help in an actual exam).The verbal part is never ending but he managed the sample, you can have endless lists and still meet new words in the actual exam.
Does anyone know if on the Maths section they are provided with working out paper or can they write on the test sheet?
It's all getting a bit close now!!
Lottie
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

DIY Mum wrote:
Was there a "choose the correct word from a choice of four in a missing passage" in last year's paper?
I don't think so.

Good luck for the prep!!
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Thanks! I'm gonna need it! :|

Dd2's knowledge of words isn't great but getting her to spell (what little she knows) right is even harder! :evil:

Much prefer the older format as at least the whole word was given.
myw1

Post by myw1 »

Can someone please let me know where do I register - is this through the KE school website or council website?

Also are the examples the actual types of questions they will get for this year's exam (especially for English)?
DIY Mum

Post by DIY Mum »

Here is the link that I used to register my dd.

The questions on the sample sheet provide information about the style and format of the questions (not the actual level). The real questions in the exam are definitely harder otherwise everybody would win a place! :)
Professor Yaffle

Post by Professor Yaffle »

It looks like the sample questions provided this year are possibly the same for KE as they are for the Newport/Walsall/Wolverhampton grammars, which are all now CEM, based on the examples by DIY Mum. I believe that both of these type of questions came up in the Newport exam last November