KE 5-Ways New Head

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KenR

KE 5-Ways New Head

Post by KenR »

Those of you hoping for KE 5-Ways might be interested in the following annoucement sent out to parents last Friday by email:-
Appointment of Head

It is with great pleasure that the Governors announce the appointment of Mrs Yvonne Wilkinson to the post of Head of King Edward VI Five Ways school with effect from September 1st 2012.

Mrs Wilkinson is currently Headmistress of Gateways School, a mainly girls independent school. Her current post is her second Headship and before that, from 1997 until August 2002 she was Deputy Head at Five Ways and acting Head from September to December 2002 before the arrival of Mr Wheeldon.

Mrs Wilkinson said:-

“I am thrilled at my appointment as Head of King Edward VI Five Ways and am looking forward to leading the School and building on its considerable strengths. To be the first female Head is very exciting”!

We look forward to welcoming Mrs Wilkinson to the school in September.

Yours sincerely

Hywel Thomas

Chair of Governors
poppit

Re: KE 5-Ways New Head

Post by poppit »

Interesting, is the current Head about to retire?
KenR

Post by KenR »

Yes leaves in the summer
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

So that's two KE Heads leaving! :o Dr E V Insch OBE (KEVIHS' Head) also retiring; no doubt leaving behind a notable legacy. :(
um

Post by um »

KECH Girls' Head is retiring too.

I think Mr Wheeldon did a lot for 5-Ways and had a lot of vision - pity he is going. Didn't realise he was in his 60s! Hopefully the new Head will be great too.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Although if you're contemplating 5W (espcially if you have more than one child) you'd have to hope the new head will reverse the rather thoughtless decision on school holidays.

Mike
um

Post by um »

What decision was that Mike1880?

I have had an awful time with school holidays this year, unfortunately.
My mum is turning 60, and I thought I was really organised by booking our Easter holiday last September so she could get time off work well in advance and come with us. I had the term dates for my younger children's school up on the pinboard and went with those, not thinking that the Camp Hill dates would be any different.

It was only in late December that I realised that Camp Hill holiday dates were a full week different to those of my other children, and that ds1 was supposed to be going back to school that week :( :( :(

The Camp Hill head refused to authorise any absence, which led to a bit of a nightmare of changing holiday dates to the week before and paying a very hefty admin charge to do so :evil:
My mum still can't get that Tuesday off and I will have to drive her 1 hour 40 minutes to work that day and pick her up that evening :x

Just thought I'd mention in case other families are affected. This will mean a strange Easter holiday - ds1 off all alone for a week, then the week away, then younger dcs off for another week....
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

That's awful um. You've got me worried now, in fact I think I'm so worried that it's likely to affect our son and make him ill on 3rd Sept :shock: .

Five Ways December 2011 newsletter - they intend to take a week less in the summer holiday and compensate with an extra week at autumn half term. Obviously no working parents involved in that decision...

Mike
um

Post by um »

Interesting, what date do they go back to school for the Autumn term at FW please?

I am really panicking now Mike1880 as I've also booked a summer holiday finishing 1 September (couldn't go earlier in summer as it is Ramdhan) and there is a chance that ds2 could be going to FW :shock: ...

Perhaps it would be easier if I just never took any holidays at all :x
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Thursday 30th - induction programme 30th-31st:

http://www.kefw.bham.sch.uk/ke/content/ ... r+2011.pdf

Maybe it hasn't occurred to them that in "giving notice" in this way it fails to notify the 1/7th of the school who're supposed to be attending that "all-important" induction on 30th-31st. Doh!

Mike
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now