One to One Tution or Group

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sahara1

One to One Tution or Group

Post by Sahara1 »

Hi All ,

I looking for a tutor for my son and I am torn between a one to one session or a group turtoring session as one of the tutors say it is better to do one to one..and others say group.

What is everyone thought on this?? also if anyone knows of a good one to one tutor please PM me.

Thanks

Genuine recommendations by PM only (private message) are acceptable - but beware of the possibility that someone who appears to be offering a recommendation may have a vested interest! Please let us know if you think anyone is abusing the system by soliciting for business or 'spamming'. (It's easy to report a possible problem: just click on the 'report button' - the red exclamation mark.)

Always treat recommendations from unknown persons with caution. However, there are many long standing members (check the date of joining and number of posts) who make a valuable contribution to the forum. If you receive a recommendation from one of them, it could be worth considering seriously (while still exercising a degree of caution).

If you receive a recommendation from anyone else, please exercise extreme caution!

Note also:
Tutors can found in the online tutor directory by following this link:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/services/directory

Institutional Course details can be found by following this link:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/servic ... us-courses

Intensive Holiday Courses can be found by following this link:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/servic ... ve-courses

Kind regards,

ForumAdmin
suzanne

Re: One to One Tution or Group

Post by suzanne »

Having done group tutoring with my first and second I am now wondering about 1 to 1 for number 3. The group sessions seem to involve a small amount of tuition then a full timed test which is then swapped and marked by the children. Whilst it is good to do timed tests and in a competitive environment I think more learning would be possible in 1 to 1, although the competitive element would not be there.

Also in a group environment children are at different levels.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

I have signed my DD up for a group session (small group 4 max) as I think a one to one session would be too intense for her. They do the group sessions but each child has an individually designed program to suit their needs.
IMO If you find a good tutor you will know when you speak to them (you can tell if they know what they are doing) go with that tutor whether they do group sessions or individual sessions, good tutors are hard to find, there are many who just photocopy the Bond books and have the kids do them for an hour then charge you £20 for the pleasure, that is just babysitting!!
NewMom

Post by NewMom »

Neither option is better than the other, as which is best will be down to the quality of the tutor you choose.

We went down the road of both 1-2-1 as well as group tutoring. Can honestly say that THE most important thing to consider is the quality of the tutor.

If you can find a very good tutor, by default other issues such as size should already be well managed. We trialled sizes from 1 to 30+, after a very painful period of trial and error, we settled on the best option, which was only down to the tutor, and to our surprise was not 1-2-1.

The tutor we chose teaches in a small group, our son was in a group of 3 and he loved the buddy system that was set up, all 3 of his ‘buddies’ were aiming for the same school and all will be going together this year. :D :D :D

Problem is you will only know if you have a good tutor if you are armed with the knowledge of what to expect and what is considered to be ‘good’. We avoided any tutors employing assistants and group sizes more than 4, but you cannot beat personal recommendation.

Good luck
NewMom
Sahara1

Post by Sahara1 »

Thank you everyone for your feedback...but the problem is how do I find a good tutor????..if anyone knows of one please PM me I would really apreciate it....the problem I find is if I ask anyone they look at me as I am asking for the lottery numbers or the crown jewels...it is very hush hush!!!
aanraag

Post by aanraag »

I think the small group is better when preparing for a competitive exam otherwise 1-2-1 is good.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now