Increasing complexity?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sss

Increasing complexity?

Post by sss »

Hi
I was wondering whether the questions in a CEM exam get harder and harder in each individual section as they apparently do in the computer based CEM exam? I'm especially interested to know what happens in the Maths and nvr sections.
I believe the computer exam is also adaptive to the answer given in the sense that if the answer is right then the next question will be harder and if it's wrong then the next question may be easier. This is of course not possible with the paper assessment.
vza

Re: Increasing complexity?

Post by vza »

Hi,

As far as I know, there are no CEM past papers, practice papers or computer based CEM exam. CEM tests are nothing like practice papers or muck exams.

DD took the CEM (Newport) test last year. I am not sure if she told me that the questions got harder and harder. Although, it is reasonable to assume that was the case, especially for the Maths section. The test was very difficult and very demanding on time, and DD was upset after the test because she did not have enough time to do all the English/VR and Maths questions. NVR was less demanding on time, but children have a natural ability for NVR or they do not.
Last edited by vza on Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChessDadPlus

Re: Increasing complexity?

Post by ChessDadPlus »

Ok another spin on this ...

Does anyone know if in the case of the Maths Paper whether there will be the following types of questions, whereby each question is split into multiple parts eg

Question X - Value 10 Marks split over 5 parts

Part 1 - 2 Marks
Part 2 - 2 Marks
Part 3 - 2 Marks
Part 4 - 2 Marks
Part 5 - 2 Marks

It may not be 10 marks in total, and it may not have equal marks for each part, but the principle of the question is as follows.

Such that each successive part requires in its calculation the correct answer from the previous part.

Ie does the student get 0 marks, or loses marks if the very first answer is incorrect, but formulation for successive answers are correct. Are marks awarded on the principle of methodology and formulation despite incorrect answers for previous parts.