Test day essentials

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Paramjeet

Re: Test day essentials

Post by Paramjeet »

Of course you are right. Remember the more heavily tutored the child is then the more unlikely to get into a good selective state school, this is a personal opinion and one based on anecdotal data.

This thread is meant for things to take on the day of the test.

Anyways, best of luck to all.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

UmSusu wrote:I still got my DS to take his own pencils, rubber and ruler.

[...] Iirc, there was another pencil breaker in DS1's room last year and the teacher had to borrow a pencil from DS in the end!
Like Umsusu, I prefered my DS to have several good quality sharpened pencils so that he is 'armed' for any eventuality and doesn't waste valuable minutes to sharpen some pencils...

On the day of the exam, of course, I provided him a good breakfast and a snack ... but I have been careful o limit the quantity of milk and water I gave him... Half a cup of milk in the morning and half the bottle of water for his break...so that he wouldn't need to go to the toilets in the middle of the exams. I am sure not all children are like him, but if he drinks too much, he has to go to the loo evey 15-30 mn :roll: !!! And of course, I told him to go to the loo on the school premises before the first exam and during the break...

One important message I would recommand you to transmit to your children is that they shouldn't be disheartened if they can't do many questions in each section; they just have to carry on doing their best! It happens that some children are reduced to tears in the exams hall! :shock: No, no and no! They should keep going whatever happens.
It seems that last year, the comprehension was extremely long, but many children still got in despite not answering many questions.

Also, tell your child to do just what is written on the exam paper.
Last year, in the section about antonyms and synonyms, my DS ticked the answers he wished but he also wrote some more antonyms and synonyms to 'show' that he has a 'wide' vocabulary :shock: :twisted: That has been a real shock for me, especially that I was not sure that he ticked the answers!! I know now he did because he got a place in a grammar, but I can't say I was happy with him when he told me what he did during the exam :roll: Oh, these cheeky monkeys, we never know what they will do on the day of the exams, and they always come up with things we would never have imagined :shock: !!

Anyway, good luck to all :)
KenR

Post by KenR »

One important thing not to forget is to remind them to alert the invigilator of any major disurbances during the exam.

One child a few years years ago was constantly kicked by the child behind throughout the exam (the child clearly had no interest in doing the exam) but the child in question failed to alert the invigilator during the exam. It's important that anything that could impact performance is alerted and recorded.
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

talking about disturbances, one child was sick and threw up over a few tables whilst my DC sat test; this too can be disturbing not only for the sick child but those around when the mess is cleared up.

It can be such a traumatic time for the 10 year olds.
ginx

Post by ginx »

UmSusu

Love your name.

Totally hope you're right - that the length and intensity of practice doesn't guarantee a pass ... because we've tried but reading on here, we haven't done nearly as much as everybody else!

We will be taking our own pencils!!!!!!
lottie78

Post by lottie78 »

Hi,
Us too, Ds has worked extremely hard but doesn't seem enough compared to the 5,6,7,8 papers a day brigade.

Obviously I want Ds to gain a place but we have focused on things that might come up but he hasn't been taught at his primary school. He is naturally bright, not exceptional just a good lad that loves and wants to learn and has always been way ahead for his age...is it enough, time will tell but he has learnt so much and although my nerves are shot at least I won't look back and think what if. I know he'll give it his best and that's all I can hope for.
I am the only parent that can't wait for saturday lunchtime???
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

We too blocked out the 5,6,7 papers a day brigade; maybe they need the extra practice I told myself,

I tutored half an hour in the morning and the same in the evening. Rest left to destiny.

Best of luck to all

REMEMBER TO TURN OVER THE QUESTION PAGE!!!
shakey

Post by shakey »

Hi Paramjeet
Not meaning to sound funny but what do you mean by ' remember to turn over the question page.'
Won't the papers have symbols at the bottom right of the pages as shown in the familiarisation sheet - I though it would be self-explanatory? Or am I missing something?
Shakey (and getting more Shakey by the minute)! :?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now