D Day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nervousmom

Re: D Day

Post by nervousmom »

My Ds took exam yesterday and is not sure how he did. He said the time was the biggest issue.
He said he ran out of time on comprehension and had only answered 24 of the 30 questions, as they were multi choice he guessed the last 6 as a C answer!
he said one of the maths was very hard and he couldn`t do it, he also missed at least another 6 out.
So i am now left thinking AAARRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At least we only have to wait 5 weeks to get an idea, imagine having to wait 7 months!
lottie78

Post by lottie78 »

Hi,
Ds came out all smiles yesterday but as the day went on he divulged more to me and he left quite a few questions out,especially in maths.
I suppose we just have to hope that what they did answer they got right!
I was expecting him to find it very hard so was relieved that he coped and oddly said he enjoyed it!
Makes me wonder what he was expecting, torture, nuclear physics, having to talk to a girl etc so he was obviously relieved when he saw the paper.
rugbymom

Post by rugbymom »

Hi all.
My ds echoing a lot of what others have said.
Harder than any test he has practiced at home. Missed out lots of cloze, verbal reasoning VERY hard...and that's his strong subject ! He missed out lots of NVR and so hurriedly filled in the blanks.
But proud of him for having a go ..... :D
rugbymom

Post by rugbymom »

11nuts wrote:DS said there were two boys disqualified in his class.

One for spilling his drink over the paper. And the other for starting the questions before being allowed to do so.

Also did say VR was hard and not something he good use the trained techniques for.

On another note, my entry paperwork said out of district, does anyone know what this means? I hope it does not mean out of catchment as I thought we were clear living in sutton.
Feeling very sad for the boy who spilled his drink...is that a bit harsh ?
lottie78

Post by lottie78 »

I thought that with regards to the drink but Ds said they were strictly told to not have drinks on the table!
Imagine getting told that though after months of practise..
rugbymom

Post by rugbymom »

I might kill mine if he had done that ! Very disappointing.
peter doe

Post by peter doe »

Why was he allowed to have the drink at the table in the first place?

I asked my children when is their break at school and then tell them they don't need a drink for a test that is much sorter than time spent before break at school. They agree as we were trying to minimise the need to use the toilet during exam.
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

I'm at out of county stalker of forums and I just wanted to reassure you as someone who has super selectives in my county that what your DC say after exam seems to have little reflection of how well they have done. I'm sure you can remember from O levels and A levels even it is hard to know whether you did a great paper or not and VR and NvR much harder to predict of course....
My DD came out looking grey and anxious and said she missed half a page. She came out of results in top 5% so my months ( this was when there was a 6 month wait) worrying were totally unnecessary! This time last year i was waiting to hear results for my DS - so I do understand, but the only way to sanity is to keep busy and to resist the urge to try to squeeze more information about the exam out of them! We've done our best, so have they and soon you'll know and then make the best decisions for your DC.
The drink episode referred to must have made the parent so upset and cross, poor boy! Seems a little harsh on a nervous 10 year old........
Good luck all, I'll be watching for results and I'm sure you'll all be happier then!
yasminahmad

Post by yasminahmad »

My DD did her exam at CHGs yesterday and was allowed to have her drink bottle on the table throughout the exam.
She was a bit bemused when I told her about the boy who had been DQd because of his drink.
Feel sorry for him and his parents

Yasmin
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

By all accounts it was a tough test - but we already knew that didn't we?

It seems maths and cloze was toughest and most children missed questions or took wild guesses somewhere.

Based on the feedback on here and various other places, I made up a series of pretty tough mock tests for my DS : I gave them to a highly intelligent, well-read person and got him to do them - he couldn't complete it within the time and missed out some of the questions too. It is a challenging exam and as long as they had a good attempt on most sections they should still have a good chance.

wrt to the drink spilling incident, that is really harsh. If they don't allow drinks in an exam, then they should have made sure no one had a drink at the desk. I have been to uni exams where some fool's mobile goes off even though they have clearly stated that they should be switched off. We are talking about 10 year olds for goodness sake! I still have to remind mine to put his specs on in the morning even though he has really poor vision without them :roll: . They could have at least given him another paper and said they will only mark what is still clearly legible after it has dried. it is ridiculous.

Even the boy who started the next section. The most they should do is cross out the section he started early and say they will not mark it - it would be an example to the other children and still give the poor mite a chance . I don't want anyone to have an advantage, however small, over my child but we have to remember the pressure they were under and be fair considering their age.

I have seen adults try to submit exam papers without their name and / or candidate number!
UmSusu