11 plus hangover!!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lottie78

11 plus hangover!!!

Post by lottie78 »

Morning all,
Well it's back to school and I'm thankful for Ds going to a local primary with only a handful taking the test. Ds has already said he won't mention it to anyone, to be honest I'm quite proud of him. We were at a family party yesterday and whenever he was asked about the exam he just said it was ok and was just going to wait for the results. On the other hand he was out with his grandad yesterday morning and bumped into a family friend who insisted on telling Ds how her son found it easy and answered every question!!!
Who says these things to a 10 yr old, if that is true then well done to the child and if all correct he deserves a place but please parent have a bit of restraint. We are all proud of are children but have some consideration.

I've packed up all 11 plus related material and feel abit sad, I've spent so much time with Ds and it was in some ways 'our thing' if that makes sense. I'm sure I'm going to be ditched for the playstation now.
Ds2 is looking at me nervously.... Mmmm he has yr2 sats next yr!!!!!

Also does anyone know if results can be emailed as well as posted, we will be on holiday when they are posted and by the time we get back that only leaves a couple of days to make school decisions.

Hope you're all surviving the 11 plus hangovers :D
Okanagan

Re: 11 plus hangover!!!

Post by Okanagan »

On the other hand he was out with his grandad yesterday morning and bumped into a family friend who insisted on telling Ds how her son found it easy and answered every question!!!
Who says these things to a 10 yr old, if that is true then well done to the child and if all correct he deserves a place but please parent have a bit of restraint. We are all proud of are children but have some consideration.
Somebody posted here in the past that those who found it "easy" often hadn't done that well (maybe hadn't fully understood the complexity of it), whereas those who found it "hard" (perhaps those who were used to being able to answer every question in easier practice tests) had often done better. So I'd not read too much into those comments - and in any case the child may just have been telling the parent what they wanted to hear rather than what actually happened!
I've packed up all 11 plus related material and feel abit sad, I've spent so much time with Ds and it was in some ways 'our thing' if that makes sense.
Mine has actually asked if after a bit of a break we can carry on doing more maths. Quite a turnaround from the early days when he wasn't convinced mum could teach him anything he didn't know!

I'll be packing away all our things into a box file this week. But as quite a lot of it is material I've written for ds since we were having trouble finding the right kind of questions (or at least papers where I didn't have to cross off half the questions as probably not relevant to CEM) it seems a bit of a waste for the amount of effort involved to use it only once - or maybe twice if it's still relevant when it's ds2's turn. I'm (semi)seriously considering formatting it a bit more professionally and making it available for more general use. A project for the winter perhaps? Do you think anyone would be interested in Warwickshire/Birmingham specific English/VR practice material?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

lottie78 wrote:Morning all,
On the other hand he was out with his grandad yesterday morning and bumped into a family friend who insisted on telling Ds how her son found it easy and answered every question!!!

:D
Don't worry - you are doing the right thing and your DS will benefit from these thought out replies etc - however the family friend you met is probably extremely worried and trying to psyche everyone else out as a result - mau also have little experience of the world of exams ... they may learn yet :wink:

Ever since going to University i have told anyone who asked that the exam (and I was still doing some at 45 :oops: ) was awful and I couldn't answer a thing.

Good luck with it all - the comments about the exam itself will begin to ease off soon.. 8)
sss

Post by sss »

DD said all her friends found the test hard except one who said that every section was 'easy peasy.' Not words we really needed to hear. :shock:
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

I don't think u should take any notice. I really don't think that children are all that complex or conniving when they discuss things - she probably really did find it easy and is relieved to feel like that - she probably also completely missed the point ! ( unless she really is a rare genius).

From the feedback from the best mathematicians at DS school ( 5B at full marks in summer QCAs) they say maths was hard and there were things easily missed.

UmSusu
UmSusu
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now