Open days/ evenings... Glad when it's over.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sss

Re: Open days/ evenings... Glad when it's over.

Post by sss »

Keep the faith Lottie78.
I'm feeling my dd may not get in but we also got fed up being herding about at these school open days that we stopped at three.
If she doesn't get a place at a GS then there's always KEHS (it's only £75,000 over the next 7 years)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
sss

Post by sss »

I don't mean to knock KEHS - in fact we're going to the open morning this Saturday.
Anyone got any knowledge of KEHS?
um

Post by um »

There are fewer places at KEHS than KES and it is therefore generally even more difficult to gain a place at KEHS.

They do not have as much 'money in the pot' for scholarships and APs, compared to KES.

It is certainly an excellent school; but I have never actually visited myself.
speedbird

Post by speedbird »

I feel I need to jump to the defence of CHG! I have a DD in year 8 who is enjoying every minute of her time at the school. She has made good friends having been slightly marginalised at primary school. Although she has not needed any specific pastoral care the school has been very supportive when she has needed time off for ill health. She is not particularly sporty but she has been encouraged to join in other activities/lunch time clubs and very much feels part of the school. We have no regrets about the choice we made for our daughter.
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

I have a DD in year 8 who is enjoying every minute of her time at the school.
X2!!

I was feeling rather lonely in my love of the school. (but was wondering whether to keep quiet and hope everyone else would be put off applying and my younger DD would stand more of a chance of getting in :wink: )
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

See, I told you most people like it. It's just us :) .

Our daughter is in Y8 at KEHS. She has a wonderful time, they seem to make learning a very enjoyable and rewarding experience, although clearly working them very hard. There is no internal competitiveness (e.g. no house system) and you will never be told your daughter's position in the form in any subject, which I believe rankles with a few parents who can't feel their child is doing well unless they're doing better than someone else. It's a very unpretentious school (in that respect very similar ambience to CHB); once you've parted with that 75k expenses are kept to a minimum. Uniform is much cheaper than Five Ways, for example (and probably cheaper than CHG - but not as cheap as CHB, which other than rugby/PE kit, blazer badge and tie can all be bought from T*sco or wherever), and the various trips are all quite affordable.

It's well worth considering for anyone who can win an assisted place (and for anyone on means-tested benefits an assisted place will be cheaper than GS).

Mike
equation

Post by equation »

We've got a relative's dd who attends KEHS.
She absolutely loves it there. She is a polite & intelligent girl with a lot of confidence (not OVER-confident which I personally can find a little annoying at times).
Their parents - although not very wealthy - have always said it's worth every penny seeing their dd very happy in a great school. And let's be honest - it's one of the best girls' school in the uk.
rachag

Post by rachag »

Need a 'like' button on here. Agree with Mike 1880 and equation. DD loves it and sooo nice to see her blooming socially and academically. Great school imo
sss

Post by sss »

Wow! What a school!
Having been to the open day at KEHS I must say that we were VERY impressed.
The girls were helpful, confident & friendly; the headmistress, with whom I had a lengthy chat with towards the end, was VERY helpful.
We were so impressed that we've decided that it'll be a split decision between KEHS & FW (results pending).
To be honest I envy the families whose DC are at this fantastic school (inc. you Mike :) ) - I'm sure MANY dps think the same.
(I think I better start putting my pocket money aside). :D
equation

Post by equation »

We also went to KEHS yesterday only to have a nose - weren't really interested in applying.
However having seen it we thought it was an amazing place. We've already filled in the application form & sent it off. IF our dd gains a GS place & passes for KEHS then we will have a VERY difficult decision to make! :?