How did your DC find the KEFW exam?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

nervousmom

How did your DC find the KEFW exam?

Post by nervousmom »

Starting to get worried now about the results. DS has heart set in FW.

When he came out of the exam he wasn't too sure how he did and said part way through he had a bit of a panic attack!

He said the maths was hard and there was at least 1 question he didn't answer. He said he answered 24 of the 30 comprehension and guessed the rest. NVR was fine.

Didn't really get much more out of him.

A week later he sat warks and said it was easier than bham! We got results yesterday and he will get a pace at KES, so huge sigh of relief.

However, he was not too happy, because he is even more worried about bham now. He us now saying there was one question , I think in maths, with 8 arts he didn't answer. He reckons now he only answered half of comprehension and didn't answer many on the bit where you had to insert missing letters.

I would be interested to see what your DC thought.
MSD

Re: How did your DC find the KEFW exam?

Post by MSD »

My son missed 1/3 of the cloze as he couldn't work out the word. Maths was quite challenging as well. Let's see what happens. We will have to request SSS to phone them one last time tomorrow morning. Every time I call them I don't manage to get any info out of them :(

MSD
Greenfingers10

Post by Greenfingers10 »

My DD came out feeling positive, but I mentioned last week that the results are out and she said she didn't want them because she thought she hadn't done very well. As far as I'm aware she didn't miss much out - but that doesn't mean anything - she could have just done it all wrong! The thing I'm worried about is : her maths is very strong and because she didn't find it that challenging it could mean she either missed the point or it really wasn't challenging enough and it will bring down her score (like in Herts). Also there is less maths content.
Bring on Wednesday and we will know once and for all...
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

dd2 found the comprehension and cloze quite challenging in addition to the maths. But she gave it her very best shot so I couldn't ask for more. Whatever her result, I'm very proud of her.

Hopefully, KEF's results won't be as puzzling to understand as Walsall et al's have been for me this weekend. :oops:
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

Mmmhhh nervous mum... My ds thought warks was harder than Brum. He said he completed less of warks. Also there were a few other kids from his school there and they also thought warks was harder. Maybe they had learnt something at school to help them in the Brum exam.
But we'll see this week....4,500 took Brum whereas only 1,800 took warks...
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

His cousin said the same, warks easier than brum!

In the warks he said the maths was easy and he completed all of it. The results show that the maths part was his weakest area, approx 70%. He thought he had not done verybwellmin the VR section and this was his highest so 78%!

Funny how it goes.

We could you with some clarification as to when exactly the results are going out.
NASA

Post by NASA »

Our ds too found bham better than QM. At the QM exam he missed out a 3 questions as he ran out of time but with bham he managed to complete it all.
QM results weren't too gud but he has got handsworth although he really wants kea.
I hope he gets it, I've never known him to want something so much and the amount of effort his put in both dh and I are so proud!!

Good luck all, I hope it works out for the best for everyone :)
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

just had email from Bham - results out first class tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

nervousmom wrote:In the warks he said the maths was easy and he completed all of it. The results show that the maths part was his weakest area, approx 70%. He thought he had not done very well in the VR section and this was his highest so 78%!
Standardised scores don't work like that - you can't say my standardised score was 132 and the maximum was 189 so that's 70% raw score for example.

A standardised score of 132 (70% of the potential maximum) is 2.13 standard deviations above the average raw score.
We don't know the average raw score for the 2012 exam, but we do for the 2010 exam when it was 18/51. If this year was similar, then to get a maximum potential raw score of 189, 33 raw marks would equate to 5.4 standard deviations - suggesting a raw score standard deviation of 6.1 - so a 132 standard score would be equivalent to a 31/51 raw score (61%)

Similarly in VR a 119 standardised score wouldn't represent a raw score of 78%, but 1.27 standard deviations above the average. If we take the 2010 raw score averages as a guideline (44/98) then the top potential score of 153 suggests a standard deviation of around 15 - so a 119 standardised score would be about a 63/98 raw score (64%)

All figures supposition as we don't know this year's actual raw score averages of course, but they illustrate the differences created by standardisation.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Very useful information Okanagan!

I remember you suggested on the Devon forum that a rough rank could be deduced if the standardised score and total number of candidates sitting the test were known.

Do you mind sharing the formula with us?

MSD
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now