Vote the new system or the old one?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

samkam

Vote the new system or the old one?

Post by samkam »

Was it worth the wait?
Yes in some ways yes but I think I preferred the old system although son has done well...
Roll on March 1st cos that will be the 'real' result... :D
um

Re: Vote the new system or the old one?

Post by um »

I had thought this system would be great, assuming the vast majority of parents could use the result to make a clear guess as to whether their child had made entry to a particular school or not.

However, I'm now realising - and far more so in Warks and Walsall where schools are admitting more pupils than usual this year - that it isn't so clear cut, and a great many children will sit on 'borderline' results.

This means that, where I twice waited from November - March without bring sure, these parents/children essentially have to wait from September - March - two months longer - without being sure.

Knowing that your child may be borderline but being unable to judge this with any certainty, particularly with increased PANs, could make the waiting even more anxious.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

It might be a longer wait for some but at least the parents are still armed with some information - and enough to know whether they have a chance or not.

Someone in my neighbourhood who had decided since a long time that her son was going to a grammar and she was going to put all grammars in her CAF unfortunately received quite disappointing results - on the day of the exams her son had become a nervous wreck and was physically sick each time :( . Now at least she knows that he would not be anywhere near having a chance and is able to talk about how to prioritise her local comprehensives.

I know I am going to be one of those parents in limbo until march as it is either CH for us or Handsworth with his sibling and he would never a get a clear pass for CHB. I am still in the favour of the new system as I can fill in the CAF realistically without the 'what ifs'. It is not a perfect system but it is much better than the old.

UmSusu
UmSusu
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

New system is better if score is clear cut

Old system was torture on child and parent not knowing for at least four or five months.
play

Post by play »

For Warwickshire, then new system favours the "rich". Get the score you need, then move in to area or rent for 6 months and play the system - it is legal.
B'ham does not have catchement so for them the new system is better.
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

Play - are you an estate agent?
I have noticed you post the same comment in a few places.
play

Post by play »

HappyRobot wrote:Play - are you an estate agent?
I have noticed you post the same comment in a few places.
No, but I know to guarantee a place, move ;)

In fact if you tell the LEA you are thinking of doing so, you may even be given an indication that your child passed early on.
I received a call "have you moved?" Why would they call, unless my child would be offered a place if he has moved!
sss

Post by sss »

I definitely prefer this new system.
Although we feel we're 'safe' in making the cut I think, even for borders or those who haven't made the cut, it gives you an very good idea on where you stand at an earlier stage. :)