Looking forward.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Elbart

Looking forward.

Post by Elbart »

Congratulations to all DPs in achieving their probable school places for their DC. If they were short on making the pass score be assured that the process of 11+ would have laid a great foundation to be a 'high flyer' at any other school.

This year has been thrown up a lot of uncertainty with regard the scoring, but placing the school you hoped for at the top of your school preference list should still be the case, followed by your next highest preference schools....there is nothing to lose. Based on the previous pass marks for Birmingham schools should give you a good indicator as to where you stand. This year’s scores may go up or they may go down and we won't know exactly...... March 1st will tell.

Thanks Elbart

p.s. - KenR, I'm sure it would be ok to update the Exam contents sticky now :)
Montypanpan

Re: Looking forward.

Post by Montypanpan »

20 girls are still to sit for Woverhampton Girls' High, so best not to divulge any of that exam content until March.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Montypanpan,

This doesn't sound right. As far as I understand they have already offered places in principle to all the children up to the PAN number. What happens if all of these girls decide to take the place?

MSD
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I suspect that many of the girls informally "offered" places will also have high scores elsewhere and may put other schools down higher on the CAF - there are bound to be many more who will get places who haven't been informally offered places at present
MSD

Post by MSD »

No, I understand that. But how can the school guarantee that some of those girls will turn down a place.

And the children outside of PAN have been given a rank. If these 20 girls take the late test the ranking is bound to change.

MSD
Montypanpan

Post by Montypanpan »

After talking to the school, the letter states child has reached the required standard 'at the time of writing' because of these children that have yet to sit the exam. This is why no place is guaranteed until March. The children who have reached the required level are pretty safe even if these 20 girls reach this same level, because of the girls who won't actually take the place. However, it does mean that the rankings could move downwards. This is why I don't think exam content should be posted yet, because it could give an unfair advantage the those girls yet to sit the exam.
MSD

Post by MSD »

That is just a standard letter. That is what ours said for QM and AGS. The caveat is 'because of the girls who won't take the place'. I know it's hypothetical but how can the school guarantee that some of the girls in original PAN will drop out. What happens if they all have it as their first choice on the CAF?

MSD
Montypanpan

Post by Montypanpan »

It's why nothing is guarenteed until March. If everyone puts it on the CAF & late sitters have a higher mark then they will take the place. The letter states it is not an offer of a place, just that the required level at the time of writing, has been achieved. This level could change & so nothing guarenteed until March.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

MSD wrote:That is just a standard letter. That is what ours said for QM and AGS. The caveat is 'because of the girls who won't take the place'. I know it's hypothetical but how can the school guarantee that some of the girls in original PAN will drop out. What happens if they all have it as their first choice on the CAF?

MSD
Because some always do - can't quote exact figures but some of the schools who have ranking may have 140 places say and end up offering down to 220 or more... Some schools try tempting the top X kids by inviting them for special open days, reminding them that they are high scorers but still some will be high scorers elsewhere too and will there instead.

PS here is a bit from last year about HGS :
I also found this information on their website regarding the ranking at Handsworth Grammer Boys which they too informed me the same.

A. Children have been put in order of performance and the rank gives their position. If the boy’s rank is between 1 and 289, they must have been given a place at a School higher on the preference form.

B. If the boy is ranked between 289 and 388 he will be on our waiting list.

C. If the boy is ranked between 389 and 900, then he has not reached a standard suitable for entry.
... bear in mind this was after allocation day and there aren't 289 places there
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now