Why do you love chb..help me choose

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Paramjeet

Re: Why do you love chb..help me choose

Post by Paramjeet »

Judging by content and volume of what's app traffic, most of the kids in my child's year are far from nerdy...rest assured they are in the whole very well rounded individuals. Bright as well
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

If there's any peer pressure to excel academically at CHB then our son hasn't noticed it :roll: .

There's a broad mix of people at CHB, as there probably is at KES. Anyone who is nerdy will feel comfortable there, but so will someone who spends every waking hour on the rugby pitch.

Why don't you ask to go round them both during a normal school day? It can help to see sometimes. They might not be too enthusiastic at this stage of course but you lose nothing by asking them.
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

mike1880 wrote:If there's any peer pressure to excel academically at CHB then our son hasn't noticed it :roll: .

There's a broad mix of people at CHB, as there probably is at KES. Anyone who is nerdy will feel comfortable there, but so will someone who spends every waking hour on the rugby pitch.

Why don't you ask to go round them both during a normal school day? It can help to see sometimes. They might not be too enthusiastic at this stage of course but you lose nothing by asking them.
Kes offered for us to see it but in Nov as they are on half term. CHB refused.

Thanks for info...sounds like they are a great bunch of boys.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

HappyRobot wrote:
mike1880 wrote:If there's any peer pressure to excel academically at CHB then our son hasn't noticed it :roll: .

Kes offered for us to see it but in Nov as they are on half term. CHB refused.

Thanks for info...sounds like they are a great bunch of boys.

Just wanted to chip in and say that now is not the time to choose between CHB and KES. The children haven't actually got a confirmed place at either yet!

Best to just fill in the CAF form, wait for the KES exam and offer of a place and worry on March 1st. Between now and then there's plenty of time to visit schools.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

moseleymum, they are talking about KES Stratford :D
UmSusu
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

UmSusu wrote:moseleymum, they are talking about KES Stratford :D

Oh :oops: so both need to go on the CAF preferences? Hmmm now I see the dilemma!
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Paramjeet wrote:Chb sets very little homework; most is class based and bare bones. The meat has to be put on at home.
Hi Paramjeet,

Please, could you explain abut 'putting the meat at home'? My DS just started year 7 at CH this year.. and frankly, I haven't really understood the system in this school :cry: . It is very different from what my DD has experienced at Sutton Girls, where indeed the girls were very much guided.

For example, there is no physics books, just a poly from school. Is studying just the experiments that they write about in their poly sufficient?

When there is a history lesson during which the children have some activities on the Ipad at school, my DS comes back with no notes in his notebook, should he then do some research on this subject to do a summary for himself? Not sure he'll have the time for that... :( His first half term has been very hectic due to commuting (I have to say that I admire all those children who have long travel time everyday for many many years! :P In my view, it does affect homework so to think about logistic when choosing a school is extremely important!)

I kind of feel that the level of maturity expected at CH is rather high... Hopefully, my DS will get to that level one day, but at the moment, he seems rather very young to me! Maybe because he is a July born child??? That wasn't an issue for the 11+... but maybe it now is...

I just hope that everything will turn out well! I would gratefully receive any advice concerning how your son manages his homework at that school. I am not talking about all the different projects they have to complete, all that is fine ( and is time consuming , paramjeet! :wink: )... But do they do summaries of their geography book to learn them? + Re my question in history...
Any comment on the vision of the school would be gratefully received!

A concerned mum
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

DIY Mum wrote: Teachers do really have high expectations and go all out to make sure your ds obtains good results. [/color]
I have to add to my previous post that I have been impressed by the comments of several teachers at the school... I am even amazed by what the children do in art! :lol: I can't remember my DD receiving such great lessons in that subject!

So please, parents who have to fill in their CAF these days, don't interpret my questions in my former post as a critic of the school!! It is not... It might just be me who is too old-fashioned and expect to see lessons to learn in my DS's notebooks when he comes back home :lol: :lol: So I have to understand the system and then adapt to it! :?
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

Jane
Where do you travel from or better question how long is the journey?
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

Boys get bare bones on some cases at school and then expected to do supplementary work to put the fat and meat onto the bones. Text books should be consulted too as points for reference. Best of luck
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now