Non verbal confusion

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Confused mom

Non verbal confusion

Post by Confused mom »

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum. My dd is currently in year 5. As a first time 11 plus parent I feel really stressed and confused to what is the right approach and what material is to be used?.

What titles are best for non verbal reasoning for the Birmingham consortium test?. Also what level of maths does your child need to be at for a chance of gaining a place at a Ke grammer school?.Do you have to have covered key stage three too?
Okanagan

Re: Non verbal confusion

Post by Okanagan »

Confused mom wrote:What titles are best for non verbal reasoning for the Birmingham consortium test?. Also what level of maths does your child need to be at for a chance of gaining a place at a Ke grammer school?
Variety is key - don't just stick to materials from one publisher. Anything could come up, so the more different styles you can be familiar with, the more chance you'll have of working it out if there's something new.
um

Post by um »

The 11 Plus exam does not actually require you to have completed the KS3 syllabus, but rather, be very adept and comfortable with higher level problem solving mathematical questions.
Sean_uk

Post by Sean_uk »

One of the girls I was helping along with my Dd focused strongly on technique to the detriment of problem solving - As um says, the mind needs to be adaptable as well as informed. The technical skill must be there and its a level higher than that which is taught in primary schools but also the intuitive ability to apply that knowledge to the problem or scenario. Takes a lot of courage for a young child to do this...and this should be encouraged by parents tutoring their children...
Regards
S
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

I home tutored and got on well with the Practise and Pass series as a start - the books talk you through how to approach the problem in a way that was clear to me and DS and build in difficulty - DS likes to do well and I think he would have given up if I'd started at too high a level. As others have said I think variety and self-belief are key so they aren't fazed on the day. I tried to give DS help with exam technique such as working under time pressure and not spending a lot of time on a question if they can't do it.
Confused mom

Post by Confused mom »

Thank you all for the advice. I have a starting point now.

Advertising removed by a moderator
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now