Happy Eid

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
um

Re: Happy Eid

Post by um »

Without wishing to prolong the discussion, I should say that my concern was about a child slaughtering a sheep on their own, as I doubt any child would have the necessary strength or skill to do this properly.
A gathering like the one mentioned, where experienced adults are in control, is entirely different.
I had also wanted to explain that it is possible for us to donate Qurbani to Muslim charities, particularly given the need and suffering in many Muslim countries, and I hoped to encourage parents and children to be generous in this. It is of course not the only way to make Qurbani.

Perhaps for everyone's sake, I should also bring us back to the history and meaning of the sacrifice. Muslims commemorate Prophet Ibraheem's (Abraham's) willingness to sacrifice his beloved son, but God replaced it with a ram. So Eid is about sacrificing a sheep or other animal for distribution, yes, but also allows us to think about what sacrifices we are making or ought to make for the love of God and humanity. This is also the time when Muslims make the main pilgrimage to Makkah, where Muslims believe the kabah (Holy House) was built by Ibraheem and his son Ismail (Ishmael).
There is another Eid, Eid al Fitr, which marks the end of the fasting month of Ramadhan.
Both Eids follow the lunar calendar, thus moving 'back' about 10 days each year in relation to the solar calendar.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Thank you um for your informative post.

My post was to say the reality of what happens in a Muslim country, primarily for those who are not Muslim and may have got the wrong impression that animals were being killed inhumanely or by children.

Children may indeed be present but are simply observers rather than participators.

I would not wish for people to be misled regarding the meaning behind the Qurbani or how it is actually carried out.

Back to Eid Mubaraks all round!
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

There are numerous schools of thought on all matters on our great faith. I suppose it all depends on individual choice. Whether it be secular integrationist or fundamentalist in approach, we all have to answer for our actions. It is important not to confuse qarbani with zakat. A portion of qarbani should go to the poor, not all of it in principle.

And yes, children should be part of the slaughter process. When they mature then they can cut. The sensitivity should be eradicated at an early age. Life is not all Walt Disney.
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

Paramjeet wrote:Just don't get me started on being forced to take Xmas off when Eid Hols are taken out of annual leave if it falls on a weekday..

Eid Mubarek
I don't believe any schools give time off for Jewish holy days or others either - they've just had some significant holidays too, so I don't see this as a problem at all as we live in England, which is predominantly a Christian country. The way to ensure that you get holidays off for holy days is to go to a faith school.
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

on the other hand I see it as a problem, debate is healthy.

By the way, what defines this being a Christian country for my education please?
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Paramjeet, it's a well know fact that England is a Christian country. The Church of England being headed by her Majesty the Queen. That is why we have holidays at Christmas and Easter as these are our holy occasions which we as Christians celebrate. By living in England you too get the holidays off! :D
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

Many thanks, I was hoping for a more objective answer such as people hpi g to their places of worship as a percentage with representational proportion.

I would happily swap holidays too but this is a far flung dream.
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

Paramjeet wrote:on the other hand I see it as a problem, debate is healthy.

By the way, what defines this being a Christian country for my education please?
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_England" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
echoes

Post by echoes »

HappyRobot wrote:
Paramjeet wrote:Just don't get me started on being forced to take Xmas off when Eid Hols are taken out of annual leave if it falls on a weekday..

Eid Mubarek
I don't believe any schools give time off for Jewish holy days or others either - they've just had some significant holidays too, so I don't see this as a problem at all as we live in England, which is predominantly a Christian country. The way to ensure that you get holidays off for holy days is to go to a faith school.
I totally agree. Where do you stop.. Holidays for hindus, Jews, Jains, Sikhs...
echoes

Post by echoes »

Paramjeet wrote:
And yes, children should be part of the slaughter process. When they mature then they can cut. The sensitivity should be eradicated at an early age. Life is not all Walt Disney.
What do you want to cultivate by eradicating the sensitivity at an early age?

How about teaching children about compassion and respect towards defenseless animals?
Last edited by echoes on Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.