Tips you wish you'd known...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Re: Tips you wish you'd known...

Post by DIY Mum »

MSD wrote:I thought there was an exercise each on missing letters cloze and choice of 4 word cloze. With regards to VR there was something like finding the odd one out from group of words. Isn't that correct?
MSD
Yes, you're right. But on the sample sheet we were given the following (and these seemed like new changes to the vr and cloze):

Missing letters in the vocab / vr section but also as a 'cloze'. E.g.
Big: large
Quarrel : a r g u ment
(We've not had that before!)

and another type of 'cloze' type passage where you choose one word from a choice of four words. (This style features in the Walsall exam. Not sure about Wark).

E.g. Travel may (broaden, rectify, isolate, integrate) the mind.

I did feel that dd2's feedback was a little hazy but according to her, the first example didn't come up. Instead they had what featured in previous years- a list of synonyms / antonyms (think freerice).

The second example did come up but in addition to the cloze (choice of four) exercise, there was another long cloze exercise - and this style (NOT content) has been a regular feature in the last couple of years.

I just didn't expect it like that as usually, the sample sheet is spot on in terms of style.
MSD

Re: Tips you wish you'd known...

Post by MSD »

DIY Mum,

I see what you mean. We spent a lot of time on those but I guess it was quite useful for traditional cloze. Having said that he left almost half of the traditional cloze and hence a lower score in VR,

MSD