Still deliberating and need help CHG v KEVIHS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
um

Re: Still deliberating and need help CHG v KEVIHS

Post by um »

Personally I wouldn't take a great deal of notice of what children think - unless I agree with it :lol:
After all, at the age of 10, I didn't have much of a clue about anything, and I don't think my children did/do either.

Ds1 insisted that he wanted to go to BV at that was his first choice, because they keep chickens and did some interesting dissections in the Biology lab on open day. He clearly didn't fully understand that he'd have to leave home at 6.30am every morning to get there and face a daily gruelling commute that would involve walking to different stations through the city centre too.
Ds2 insisted that he wanted to go to QM because he was impressed with the things they were making in the DT department. He absolutely swore blind that he didn't want to attend CHB, primarily because his brother was there. He did a lot better in the QM exam, despite the fact that I didn't even put it on the preference form :roll: but fortunately made CHB too. Even toward March 1st, he was repeatedly telling me that he wanted QM only and not CHB. QM is an even worse commute than BV and I guess, had he gone, it would have meant a 5.45am start :shock: Dh was even getting worried toward March that I hadn't put QM down, and we didn't even tell ds2 what we'd placed on the form, but when the email came through and I said he was going to CHB, he was very happy and we've heard no complaint since.

To be honest, a KE Grammar is a KE Grammar. Whichever one it is, we can be assured that it is one of the very best state schools in the country. It is so very hard to predict from an open day or inspection reports or data, how our child will actually settle and fit in at a school.
I placed the Grammars in order of distance/ease of travel on my sons' forms. The only difference between them was that my third choice for ds1 (after CH and FW) was Aston, but, because ds2 suffers from travel sickness on long bus journeys, his third choice was KES Stratford because it is a train ride away, rather than a cross-city bus ride.

My nephew - in a different city where there are no Grammars - had insisted that he wanted to go to the same school as all his Primary school friends, rather than the far better school that his older sister attended, which was also closer. My sister in law actually listened to him, and appealed so that he would get a place at this school. Even she said the appeals panel were a bit amazed that she didn't want him to attend the better school with his sister. Now he has been there a few years and has to walk a full hour each way as there are no longer any buses going that way at all. He is also no longer friends with his 'friends' and is unhappy and has stalled academically. I guess there really was no benefit to listening to a 10 year old in his case.

I personally just wouldn't take much notice of what children say. They can often be persuaded otherwise - and may actually be picking up on our subtle clues and misgivings rather than making a genuinely independent assertion. Every child will have 'ups and downs' at any school.
I think that travelling distance and time is very important. If my dd doesn't make a Grammar which is closer, yet makes a Grammar which is further away, and therefore has no choice but to travel some distance, fair enough.
But if she could make a closer Grammar, that would be more preferable. An extra hour's travel per day adds up to a very long time over 7 years. And although my ds1 and 2 travel to school on their own, I often end up going there, for parent consultations, events, meetings, collecting them for appointments, and of course dropping off forgotten kit almost weekly. It is really helpful that we are only 10-15 mins drive away. If your dd takes the Green bus, it is of course a mixed environment, which you personally may not find ideal compared to transporting her in your family car. It is also a long and gruelling route through heavy traffic twice a day, too.

I would rather send my own dd to a closer Grammar and work to engage as much as possible with the school to deal with any misgivings I had. Even though I also completely agree that I liked KE Handsworth better.
A few years ago, CHG did seem to have a problem with hijab, for example, but now it seems clear that, possibly due to engagement from concerned parents, this has been overcome. Girls are now freely able to wear sports hijabs during sports, and suitable clothes during swimming.
Amarstone

Post by Amarstone »

Hi Moseleymum,

Have you made a decision yet? I always like to know the ending!
Tomp33

Post by Tomp33 »

Hello,
I stumbled across this site when accessing my school website from google and was quite interested in what people are saying because I am currently a year 11 pupil at KECHG.
Obviously I am not this sites target demographic (parents of 11+ kids) but I just wanted to but in and say something about ch...

I have seen several posts saying its unfriendly and cold at open evening. Obviously I can't judge open evening because I help at them, not the other way round but I can say the school is not unfriendly, quite the opposite!

Most people are so nice there, and overall I like going to school because everyone there is friendly and nice atmosphere. They do work is hard, but i find that good for someone like me, because it helps us achieve full potential.

The teachers are, (the majority anyway) nice and helpful and I can say there are several teachers who I would always feel comfortable talking to if I was upset etc, which just shows they really aren't cold and unfriendly. For example, I walk down the corridor to get to class etc and several teachers, (as well as students) will stop and say hello and ask me how I am etc (and this is at lunchtime) which I find is really nice :)

Honestly, it's a really friendly school with approachable teachers, just seemingly doesn't come across well at open evening.

Just wanted to tell you all from my pov, sorry for butting in xD
um

Post by um »

Thanks for the post Tomp.

I should say that when I visited (and I believe others have said the same thing on here) the girls who showed me round and who I met were really friendly, warm and helpful.
So to be fair, were the majority of teachers and staff.
I think what everyone is trying to say is that a minority of school staff unfortunately came across as.... a bit presumptuous and unhelpful. Plus my experience with the security staff on the gate was admittedly pretty off - putting too.
I don't know why - maybe they had a headache that day... we 11 Plus parents are just rather sensitive :D
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

In most cases if one is polite and courteous then it is usually reciprocated. I have never had an issue at the sister school. A wonderful warm atmosphere considering state funded.

The bond between children is established from week one and lasts till now. No clique groups either.
um

Post by um »

Do you have a dd at CHG Paramjeet?
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

Three
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Thank-you for sharing that Tomp33- your post reminds me of when I first joined this site...totally clueless on how or where to start 11+ prep. :? At that time, there was a CHG pupil who posted very briefly about the 11+ exam (dps here reminded her to concentrate on her hw :lol:) . Anyway, I did send her pm and she was not only helpful about which books worked for her, she was also very fond of CHG and the staff.
um wrote:Do you have a dd at CHG Paramjeet?
Paramjeet wrote:Three

You have been quite humble about that, Paramjeet. I understand then, that you have 3 dd's at CHG and a ds at CHB- anymore??? 8)
Without wanting to now turn this into a CHG V CHB thread, is there a vast difference between the 2 schools or not that much from your experience?
Paramjeet

Post by Paramjeet »

I must confess DIY mum, i was answering a (how do I put this politely....) silly question with a silly answer..

:lol: :lol: :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now