Impact of earlier exam date?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pls

Impact of earlier exam date?

Post by pls »

My son scored 106, which I know is probably too low for BV (which is our 1st choice) based on previous scores.
He is mildly dyslexic, but generally strong on maths (his school are putting him in for his level 6 SATs)) and NVR. However, he scored 107 for VR but only 99 for NVR & M.
Do you think there's any point appealing? Or are there any other options? :?
Many thanks
Amarstone

Re: Impact of earlier exam date?

Post by Amarstone »

It depends what you are going to say in the appeal. What would your case be?
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

Sorry you didn't get the result you wanted for your son. There is a dedicated Appeals forum on here where you may get more responses from those with experience. I'm not sure what allowance they make for dyslexia but I know at university level students receive extra time during the exam (did you notify them in advance that this was an issue?). If your appeal is underperformance on the day then sadly this will have happened to many others sitting a stressful exam at 10 years old and I wouldn't imagine that this alone would be a sufficent case as there would be hundreds getting places on appeal.
pls

Post by pls »

I did request extra time, but was told his level of dyslexia with the setting of the exam wouldn't get him the extra time.
You have confirmed what I was already thinking anyway - thank you.
I do wonder what impact the earlier exam date coupled with revealing the results before the Schools Application date will have on the pass mark.
I would have thought the earlier exam date would have produced a lower pass mark, but the transparency of the pass marks for each school will push the BV pass mark up. What are your thoughts?
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

pls, I am sorry you feel that your child was not able to show his potential in the exams :( .

Unfortunately, although these exams do manage to distinguish a lot of the most talented children, it is not a perfect exam and there are plenty of bright children every year who do not manage to make the mark on the day. It is very disappointing for those involved on the receiving end of those results and it does not change the potential of the child. However, it might be difficult to make a case for appeal if they were already aware of the dyslexia and you have no other extenuating circumstances.

wrt the pass mark: you have to remember that the marks we received were standardised marks not the raw marks/percentage achieved. There are threads that explain it in more detail if you are interested in searching for it on the forum, but basically it means the scores we are given relate to the distribution of scores amongst the cohort that took the exam not how many questions were answered correctly - so if taking the exam earlier meant that children were generally scoring a lower percentage we would not be able to know that from the standardised scores. If everyone put in their preferences in the same way as they would have if they had not known the scores before CAF, then we can assume that 'pass marks' would stay the same.

There are two factors that will have a more direct impact on pass marks: the main one is how parents actually fill out the CAF preferences and whether this was significantly impacted by knowing the results in advance; the other one is what we already know about more children taking the exam this year than last last year (this one is probably less significant but might just make a difference).

I wish you and your child all best at whatever school they end up at.

UmSusu
UmSusu
newbiemum

Post by newbiemum »

Sorry to hear your situation, so hard. I suppose it depends how many that would have put chb or fw ordinarily and now know there is no chance have opted for AS or BV instead rather than a local school? They are different sides of the city so logistically it depends if you want your child to travel, personally i wouldnt so ruled them out. Im only taking up 2 GS places for that reason. However, a lot seem to just want a GS education on here which i understand but i don't know if that is the general perception of every parent, it's certainly not Mine or any of my friends, but we have good comps! Therefore, i think on that basis though BV and AS could go up this year unfortunately, but I could be wrong!