CEM preparation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Okanagan

Re: CEM preparation

Post by Okanagan »

Cloze is a passage of text where some words have been removed and you have to work out which they are.
This might be in the form of being given several words to choose from, or a word with some of the letters removed - e.g (this a mixed example - although CEM have always up to now been one or the other):
Many of the ancient highways of England were once no more than (alleyways;tracks;rivers;ditches). Over time their routes became more esta- - - - -ed and to pay for providing a better surface which allowed for faster (donkeys;cars;travel;buses) toll roads were in - - - - uced.

There may also be cloze-type questions in the form of simple crossword type clues rather than in a passage e.g.: jewelled goblet: cha - - - e
hobbit

Post by hobbit »

UmSusu wrote:..... There are directions at the bottom of each page telling the child whether they can continue or if it is the end of the section and they must stop there until they are told to move on to the next section.....
Thank you Umsusu.

Do you think a child would get disqualified for going back on a section if they have completed and are waiting to start a new section? ?
KenR

Post by KenR »

Do you think a child would get disqualified for going back on a section if they have completed and are waiting to start a new section? ?
yes
hobbit

Post by hobbit »

Thank you KenR.

Does anyone know if a child was actually disqualified or is this from guidlines given. If this is the case the invigilator must have a tough job on hand to watch so many children!!
lottie78

Post by lottie78 »

I remember Ds saying one child got disqualified for spilling water on his paper and another for turning page over too soon.
Couldn't imagine the atmosphere in the car on the way home from that exam, after all the prep to not even get the chance to finish the exam. So hard on a 10 yr old and must be equally hard on the invigilator!!
hobbit

Post by hobbit »

Disqualified for spilling water!! May be they should just tell children not take water inside. What school was this for lottie78?
KMbaglady

Post by KMbaglady »

Can anyone help please? S and s maths progress papers are nowhere to be found. I am trying to prep DS for the new CEM exams and read on the forum that these are very useful. Is any kind parent able to help furnish me with a copy please? I am willing to pay for postage and the inconvenience. Thanks so much in advance.
DIY Mum wrote:
sjhoneypot wrote:Does anyone know where I could get a copy of Scholfield and Sims progress papers maths as they seem to be out of print.
Thanks in advance
There's some available on Amazon - a bit pricey :!:

Good news: received a phone call from S & S Ltd's Customer Services a couple of days ago, and the very kind gentleman said that they'll send me the answers for all 3 books free of charge, woo hoo! :D In addition, they are working on updating these books and shall definitely publish a revised version which should be available around May, next year.

hobbit wrote:In the absence of S and S papers, can anyone who has a copy advice what to use instead?

The Schofield and Sim's 'Mental Maths', Bk 4, 5 and 6 are useful. Book 6 does have more of the lengthier Maths word problems. Still, they're not quite the same, but good practice nevertheless.

ETA: were two on Amazon...but they've gone now!
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

KMbaglady wrote:Can anyone help please? S and s maths progress papers are nowhere to be found. I am trying to prep DS for the new CEM exams and read on the forum that these are very useful.
Have you tried your local Waterstones? I found book 2 of the maths progress papers there just a couple of weeks ago.
lottie78

Post by lottie78 »

The water spilling disq was for the ke consortium sat at chb, apparently they were told specifically not to open water at the table but obviously someone didn't listen!!
lottie78

Post by lottie78 »

I should have said it was spilt on the exam paper!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now