Post by hobbit »

Thank you KenR, um and Toadmum

We have already been through:
Lemony Snicket (Unfortunate Events)
J K Rawkling's Harry Potter series
Young Sherlock Holmes
And ofcourse
The Hobbit

Will make start on the whats been recommended.

Much appreciated, thanks.
sjhoneypot

Re: CEM preparation

Post by sjhoneypot »

Does anyone know where I could get a copy of Scholfield and Sims progress papers maths as they seem to be out of print.

Thanks in advance
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Honeypot, a great many parents have been calling Schofield & Sims about these papers, and as you will see from this discussion, S&S are now considering reprinting them.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 3&start=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hobbit

Post by hobbit »

In the absence of S and S papers, can anyone who has a copy advice what to use instead?
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Do you want answers provided - or are you happy to work them out/able to explain them yourself?

With ds1 I used a lot of downloaded indie papers - but many of them don't come with answers! For example this one from Lancaster Royal Grammar - particularly the wordier multipart questions towards the end of the maths paper (useful multi-choice comprehension practice paper on this one too though!).

At this stage I'd be trying to identify any areas of weakness, and then focusing on those, rather than doing timed papers - or even whole papers at all. Then work on those areas, and don't worry about timed papers/exam conditions until a lot nearer the time (which admittedly is only 6 months for the Walsall people).
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

sjhoneypot wrote:Does anyone know where I could get a copy of Scholfield and Sims progress papers maths as they seem to be out of print.
Thanks in advance
There's some available on Amazon - a bit pricey :!:

Good news: received a phone call from S & S Ltd's Customer Services a couple of days ago, and the very kind gentleman said that they'll send me the answers for all 3 books free of charge, woo hoo! :D In addition, they are working on updating these books and shall definitely publish a revised version which should be available around May, next year.

hobbit wrote:In the absence of S and S papers, can anyone who has a copy advice what to use instead?

The Schofield and Sim's 'Mental Maths', Bk 4, 5 and 6 are useful. Book 6 does have more of the lengthier Maths word problems. Still, they're not quite the same, but good practice nevertheless.

ETA: were two on Amazon...but they've gone now!
80's girl

Post by 80's girl »

I have just managed to purchase the S and S Maths Progress papers 2 from Waterstones. Seems strange that they have them in stock now as I have searched on and off for these, could be an error, but they're only £1.95 with free delivery. Hope this helps someone, and in turn they may be kind enough to help me with the answers!!
hobbit

Post by hobbit »

mommyjo, if you want to pm me your address i can post a copy.
80's girl

Post by 80's girl »

Ah thank you hobbit, that's very kind of you, but another lovely forum user has already helped me out :D
FloBo

Post by FloBo »

Thank you Mommyjo, for the heads up re Waterstones selling S&S Maths Progress papers. Would some very kind person be willing to pass the answers on to me? Would be very much appreciated!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now