CEM preparation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

UmSusu

Re: CEM preparation

Post by UmSusu »

KMBaglady, I really wouldn't worry too much about the ss progress papers. I am really not sure what all the fuss is about these papers - DIYMum mentioned these as one of the resources she found helpful. She mentioned quite a few others too. I have DIYed twice and never used them and neither have any other people i know. Btw, I used SS mental arithmetic, some Bond, Heineman for word problems and then plenty of Independent school papers - and DSs never completed any of the whole series of papers in any of the above.

What I am trying to say is that whilst they may very well be a good resource ( I would certainly consider any recommendation DIYMum makes) there are no papers out there that really mimic the content and if you can't find these there are plenty of other resources out there - the independent school papers are free and I found them to be the nearest in terms of questions that came up.

UmSusu
UmSusu
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Hi KMBaglady,

if you pm me your email address, I'll send you what I've got (S & S books with answers) online.

DIY Mum
LauraA

Post by LauraA »

Hello
My DD is seating CEM in Bexley this September. One question regarding Comprehension exam - I understand they get 15 minutes for it to answer about 20 questions. Does anybody know if the questions they need to answer are multiple choice? Does the time (15 minutes) includes the reading the text AND answering the questions? It just seems a very short time to do all that!

Thank you
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

LauraA wrote:My DD is seating CEM in Bexley this September. One question regarding Comprehension exam - I understand they get 15 minutes for it to answer about 20 questions. Does anybody know if the questions they need to answer are multiple choice? Does the time (15 minutes) includes the reading the text AND answering the questions? It just seems a very short time to do all that!
Yes multiple choice, and it's a timed section to read and answer (at least it is here - it could be differenct elsewhere of course).
LauraA

Post by LauraA »

Thanks Okanagan
Any idea at all from previous years how long the text is? How many words? Just so that I can practice on texts similar size under timed conditions.
Do you know any materials that have multiple choice comprehension? I can only find the ones where you have to write the answer yourself, rather than just chose the correct answer.
Thank you again
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

CGP English multiple choice practice books and papers are good for the comprehensions. Or have a look at this Lancaster Royal Grammar sample paper for some m/c comprehension examples.
littlebaker

Post by littlebaker »

Hello, we're looking at the Gloucester GS's exam in 2014 and are aware that it may be changing to CEM. In preparation I'd like my DD to at least start looking at questions to familiarise both of us - she's very enthusiastic as her brother is working towards this year's exam and she wants to join in with the practice :shock: . I'm worried about spending lots of money on prep before I even know for sure that she'll face the CEM exam and just wondered if there were any free question papers that we could be looking at for the time being? She's in yr4. I did read that old indie papers are good but I'm not sure how to get copies of them. I've printed off the Lancaster Royal Grammar paper but would be interested in any other examples for variety. Thanks so much for any advice.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

littlebaker wrote:Hello, we're looking at the Gloucester GS's exam in 2014 and are aware that it may be changing to CEM. In preparation I'd like my DD to at least start looking at questions to familiarise both of us - she's very enthusiastic as her brother is working towards this year's exam and she wants to join in with the practice :shock: . I'm worried about spending lots of money on prep before I even know for sure that she'll face the CEM exam and just wondered if there were any free question papers that we could be looking at for the time being? She's in yr4. I did read that old indie papers are good but I'm not sure how to get copies of them. I've printed off the Lancaster Royal Grammar paper but would be interested in any other examples for variety. Thanks so much for any advice.
All you need to do is google some of the Independent Schools and you should come across their specimen papers.

To start you off:

The Manchester Grammar School
Haberdashers' Aske's
City of London

None of them are particularly that relevant for CEM as they are for the Indie School Exam Prep. But they are free.
littlebaker

Post by littlebaker »

Thanks DIYmum. My DD and I are a bit lost about CEM as we've become so familiar with the Glouc GS VR questions. I downloaded the Royal Lancaster paper for her recently and the two of us were more stumped than I had expected. Admittedly we only started lightly with the first English paper and it was her (my?) first time but the change from VR to these sorts of questions was still unsettling. Will take a look at the Indie papers where possible but it would be useful to get some real CEM practice. The VR has been easy to purchase/borrow/download but I don't know where to start for CEM short of buying everything to give me and my DD a good variety of questions. This new exam type is going to cost me a fortune if I can't find any appropriate free papers :(
DIY Mum

Post by DIY Mum »

You don't need to buy everything! :D When it comes to resources, there's a few good quality ones. And there are also the ones which have some use but also, lots of unnecessary padding.
I've sent you a pm.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now