KES Exam, Saturday 12th

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
twc

Re: KES Exam, Saturday 12th

Post by twc »

The_Graduate wrote:The school does receive the child's report from the primary school before the interview. They do take the report into account however the Scholarships/AP depend on how much marks the child obtains in the test especially in Mathematics.
Hi the-graduate, is this true? Why just maths? What about english and VR?
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

KES state that they take into account interview and school reports too, so they must hold some weight. I am sure they prefer to get them before they call for interview but they haven't received my DSs yet :twisted: but KES still called.

KES sent all the requests out at the beginning of term so your school should have received it - it might be an idea to chase it up. Last year our primary school was really dragging their feet when it came to reports and if I didn't chase them they wouldn't have sent his back at all. They did eventually send his out after a lot of pestering but they didn't send the other ones in the class because they didn't follow it up :?

As for the maths: I understand that they do use it to help distinguish scholarship candidates, but I also know that one of our regular poster's DS got a scholarship for English, so maths is not the only criteria. I doubt they give scholarships / APs for VR though :wink:

UmSusu
UmSusu
The_Graduate

Post by The_Graduate »

They are approximately 15 scholarships however they are only Five foundation scholarships which are up to 50% and the other are as little as 10% to 15%, i think some people misunderstand the conception of scholarships
If your DS falls in the top 5% criteria he will be interviewed by the Chief Master him self and another teacher therefore he has to obtain higher marks for a AP or a scholarship.
Please do not get confused between a scholarship and a foundation scholarship there is a huge difference.
Grace2DC

Post by Grace2DC »

As The_Graduate said before, KES interviews the top 5% candidate for the scholarships, that will be 30-35 candidates. Five of them will be awarded foundation scholarships which are up to 50%; 10 will be awarded scholarships of 10% to 15%. The rest of 15-20 people will get nothing unless they qualify for AP. We know some candidates who will not consider KES unless large proportion of scholarship/AP are awarded. And their GS scores are well above the possible KECH entry score.

The_Graduate I heard that KES published the names of students who are awarded scholarship/AP. If it is true, your other DS must be one of them. From those information, were all the scholarships taken up?

Hoping that the KES can allocate the scholarships wisely and attract as many candidates as possible.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

[quote="Grace2DC"]As The_Graduate said before, KES interviews the top 5% candidate for the scholarships, that will be 30-35 candidates. Five of them will be awarded foundation scholarships which are up to 50%; 10 will be awarded scholarships of 10% to 15%. The rest of 15-20 people will get nothing unless they qualify for AP. We know some candidates who will not consider KES unless large proportion of scholarship/AP are awarded. And their GS scores are well above the possible KECH entry score.

The_Graduate I heard that KES published the names of students who are awarded scholarship/AP. If it is true, your other DS must be one of them. From those information, were all the scholarships taken up?

Hoping that the KES can allocate the scholarships wisely and attract as many candidates as possible.[
/quote]

There are always several allocated scholarships that are not taken up, and not thrown back into the pot for others that need them. It seems unfair as it can make the difference between sending DS or not. All too often families put their children into every single exam, building up scholarships to several schools that they would not go to. It seems even less necessary to sit lots of Indie exams now that the Consortium gives the score before the preference form is submitted.
The_Graduate

Post by The_Graduate »

The school does award the top 5% candidates Scholarships and Assisted places which does come up to 35 candidates as it does state in the schools website. I haven't heard anything yet from the forum as it has suddenly gone very quite, every one is keeping their cards close to their chests... Good Luck!
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

You are right, the_graduate, it has gone all quiet but there is not a lot to report. We all just have to sit tight until the 15th whether we had interviews or not.

For those who did have them, how did they find the interviews went? They are good at putting them at ease, aren't they? My DS was so nervous once we got there but he came out smiling.

UmSusu
UmSusu
MaryMcG

Post by MaryMcG »

I still have nothing to report. No call as yet......

Can I just ask, someone above referred to the grammar school scores - does KES have access to them as they are part of the same foundation?