KES results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
alex1

Re: KES results

Post by alex1 »

Hi Grace
No he was not invited for an AP/ scholarship interview.Might give the school a ring about waiting places.
MaryMcG

Post by MaryMcG »

Our post has come and our son has been offered a place. We are delighted as this was our favourite school.

Good luck to everyone else.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

alex1 wrote:yeah hes taken king edwards grammar test,he got 214, previous years qualifying score was 212 at bishop vessey. He also took queen marys, was ranked 191,last qualifying entrant for that was 233. Dont know if he will get into any of them.Its a tough one....
will be keeping fingers crossed for March 1st - hope you get some good news then
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

MaryMcG wrote:Our post has come and our son has been offered a place. We are delighted as this was our favourite school.

Good luck to everyone else.

Congratulations MaryMcG :D , so pleased for you and your DS.

There seems to be eerie silence from everyone else - has no-one else got the letters? Or are some of us going to be waiting another day? I waited for our post until 10.30 (usually comes at 9) but had to leave before it arrived. I guess the letter must be sitting there in our porch waiting for someone to open it.....
UmSusu
MaryMcG

Post by MaryMcG »

Oh blimey Umsusu - I bet you can't wait to get home to check. I guess you know your son has a place, it's whether he's also got a scholarship is what you are waiting to hear?

Good luck!
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

I am not taking anything for granted until I see it in ink before my eyes :D . DS said he just kept talking once he got going and they had to interrupt him to stop and tell him they were running out of time - twice! He was very pleased with himself when he came out of the interview and I know he can speak confidently and convincingly but he is not always careful about how this comes accross: he did insist on some of his choice of reading even when they questioned whether it was suited to his age :roll: . Put it this way, I wouldn't be surprised if he did well enough to get the scholarship, but I equally wouldn't be surprised if he talked himself out of any sort of place altogether! :oops:

I just hope DH doesn't say we have to wait for him to get back!

Was it a thick envelope for offers then? If I can tell by the size, I won't mind waiting so much.

UmSusu
UmSusu
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

hermanmunster wrote:I wonder if they are saying the same to anyone who was interviewed or applied for AP and didn't get one?

usually schools leave it up to the parents to decide if they can afford - never asking for proof!

I wonder if they have had a lot arriving at the school on full fees places then after a year or they say they are not able to afford it and hence asking for help then - can be difficult for the school to say no ...
I know that this has happened. Parents who need an AP have sent their son anyway on a full fees place, couldn't afford it and had help from the school. Very difficult to say no but I can see that it might be a problem for KES as the financial assistance, despite being generous, is never going to be enough. It is a commitment for the families and is hard but I can see both sides.
alex1 wrote:yeah its alot of money £10,926 and £550 on school meals plus youll have to pay for trips,uniform etc. Will have to give it some serious thought as local comp's are poor where we live.
The school meal system has changed since last year. A lot of parents have opted out of school meals preferring to send DS in with a cold packed lunch or food flask or whatever. You don't have to factor this cost in if you don't want to. There is also a tuck shop and I see boys going to the University for food higher up in the school. Some younger boys, who are not allowed to leave the premises during the school day, go across to the university before school (not my son I might add).

The basic uniform cost is relatively ok (tie and blazer and maybe jumper, trousers and shirt from anywhere) but sports kit is extensive as there is a lot available, but you can see that on their website. There's only one compulsory trip per year, the Shell Camp for year 7. A lot of boys don't go for the more exotic trips. Again, you can see all those costs on the website too.
houseful

Post by houseful »

Didnt get offer :cry: .

Conratulations to all those who did :D

(Thin envelope for me. A5 envelope for someone who was offered place subject to finances.)
alex1

Post by alex1 »

hi moselymum
Does your son travel to school by green bus?As we would have to take travel costs also into consideration which is another £500 to £600.It just gets better and better.....

sorry housefull to hear your ds wasnt offered a place,its going to be a hard couple of weeks for everyone.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

I am really sorry houseful :cry: . Your DS has done very well with the other offers, unfortunately they can easily have an off-day which is no consolation but it does happen. My DS missed a section on the his KEGS papers and didn't quite get the kind of score I thought he should - but what can you do? I see it as their fate guiding them and sometimes we need the decisions to be made for us. We sometimes love what is not good for us and dislike what is good for us.....(I think DH fits into one of those categories sometimes but I won't say which :wink: ) : just wait and see what 1st March brings.

I guess you have a lot to mull over now - go to Solihull again and see what you think for yourself.

UmSusu
UmSusu