Class sizes at chb

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
HappyRobot

Class sizes at chb

Post by HappyRobot »

Hi
At chb, are there teaching assistants? How do the teachers cope with the class sizes?
um

Re: Class sizes at chb

Post by um »

I'm not aware of teaching assistants but the KE Foundation Schools are teaching schools, and so there are training staff around.

I've not noticed an issue with 'coping' with class sizes, as to be fair, the boys are generally of the same level and are pretty ambitious and motivated, so there's not much to 'cope' with.
My ds2 was in a class of 15 in his state Primary, and he finds it easier now to get on with things in a class of 31 at CHB, because the boys are all of a pretty high level, and, while they're not angels, you won't find the same level of behavioural problems that, to be frank, he sometimes dealt with before.

In Year 10, the boys are split into 4 classes, not 3, so class sizes obviously reduce right down to about 23 boys each; but this will vary between subjects with some subjects having even smaller class sizes.
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

Thanks Um.
Insightful as ever.
rubidium

Post by rubidium »

Some classes are more boisterous than others and have to have a talking to. In those cases a teaching assistant is more needed. 31 bright boys marking out their territory. There will always be this type of behaviour I suppose.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now