KEHS results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Re: KEHS results

Post by DIY Mum »

hermanmunster wrote:Yes you would need to say yes to the GS place and then explain to KEHS that you really can't confirm until you know about the AP ... am sure they will understand - main thing is to keep letting them know what is going on!

If you then get AP and decide on KEHS then remember to let the GS place go ... you probably will make someone on waiting list very very happy :wink:
Thanks for your advice, HM.

What will be, will be. :)
sss

Post by sss »

Hi
We've just received a letter to say that a FULL-FEE paying place has been offered.
What does this imply?
I thought KEHS only gave small scholarships out - I think Mike mentioned 1/16th only. My dd has already achieved a comfortable score for KECHG so this could prove to be a major, but fortunate, dilemma.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Congrats captain caveman, moseleymum, SSS and DIYMum :D excellent news! Well done to your DDs.

DIYMum, now you can go on holiday and celebrate.

MM, funny how you have the same fortunate dilemma again ( funny for an outsider anyway). I guess this time it is the convenience issue too? Enjoy things for now and leave decision making until later.

SSS, congrats but I think full-fee place place means a standard place ie you pay full fees? Please do check. Either way she has done well!

UmSusu
UmSusu
sss

Post by sss »

UmSusu you're spot on- I haven't had the chance to read the letter myself.
KECHG it is then all being well come March 1st
Congrats to all successful DDs and good luck on 1st March to those waiting in trepidation
Salander

Post by Salander »

Congratulations everyone, I'm surprised how many more boy's parents there appears to be on this forum than girls!
Our turn next year! :shock:
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Salander wrote:Congratulations everyone, I'm surprised how many more boy's parents there appears to be on this forum than girls!
It always seems to be the case Salander. Much more about the boys schools than the girls - although I am biased anyway and filter out anything related to girls :D

I wonder if there are more boys applying for selective schools than girls? It certainly seems so. I think Mike is the one to answer that one but he doesn't seem to be around much lately :?

UmSusu
UmSusu
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

UmSusu wrote:Congrats captain caveman, moseleymum, SSS and DIYMum :D excellent news! Well done to your DDs.

DIYMum, now you can go on holiday and celebrate.

MM, funny how you have the same fortunate dilemma again ( funny for an outsider anyway). I guess this time it is the convenience issue too? Enjoy things for now and leave decision making until later.

SSS, congrats but I think full-fee place place means a standard place ie you pay full fees? Please do check. Either way she has done well!

UmSusu
Yes...makes me wonder if I should do what several other parents I know do, and only let DC sit one exam, either Consortium or Indie. DS was more clear cut about KES - hates rugby (opted out last year), wanted to do Latin, loved location, facilities at KES and wanted the Friday afternoon experiences, potential for visits to Eton/Harrow etc :roll: DD far more sensible, less bothered with "fluff" and just wants to be happy.

Will probably leave decisions til after March 1st, which isn't too far away.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

sss wrote:Hi
We've just received a letter to say that a FULL-FEE paying place has been offered.
What does this imply?
I thought KEHS only gave small scholarships out - I think Mike mentioned 1/16th only. My dd has already achieved a comfortable score for KECHG so this could prove to be a major, but fortunate, dilemma.
sss– if you didn’t apply for an AP then they won’t mention it in the letter.

My understanding is that high earner dps are looking at a scholarship / standard place whereas others can win either a scholarship & AP (very top scoring dc), an AP or standard place and finally, a waiting list for a standard place. From previous posts, in particular Mike and fm’s, there seems to be more funds available for bursary than scholarship.

However, the Indie system is still 'new' to me especially concerning the 'waiting lists'. The only other time I've pursued the Indie route in addition to the GS route was with ds1 several years ago. And although he secured a full fee place at KES, in his letter they didn’t mention an AP waiting list (even though when I contacted Ms Phillips she said he was very close to one). However, in dd2’s they have. :?

Anyhow, this is her first choice over all the GS, so we’ll have to wait and see how it all pans out.

Btw, thank-you all. Am off now! :D
moneypenny1

Post by moneypenny1 »

Hi everyone

Congratulations to all whose DDs secured a place at KEHS

We also had excellent news in that our DD has a place at KEHS :)

But she also has a place at Solihull School.

Both schools are excellent
But which one do we go for?

We have been to Solihull School a few times and tbh it was our 1st choice as DD was positive in thinking she had not got a place at KEHS.

We need some insight into KEHS, ideally from parents whose DDs already attend.
Do they have the right balance between academia and extra curricular activities?
We don't want our daughter to be in a highly competitive environment but to enjoy and thrive.
She is an all rounder: academic, music and sport
Will she fit in?

Any help is appreciated
We have until 15th March to make a decision (8th March for Solihull)

Many thanks

:)
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Congrats to all who have been successful, good luck to everyone for March 1st.
UmSusu wrote:
Salander wrote:Congratulations everyone, I'm surprised how many more boy's parents there appears to be on this forum than girls!
It always seems to be the case Salander. Much more about the boys schools than the girls - although I am biased anyway and filter out anything related to girls :D

I wonder if there are more boys applying for selective schools than girls? It certainly seems so. I think Mike is the one to answer that one but he doesn't seem to be around much lately :?

UmSusu
Slightly fewer boys than girls apply for GS in Bham, substantially more boys apply for KES than girls for KEHS.

I suspect the difference in emphasis on the forum (and not just for Bham, although not for all regions) is because boys are often a greater cause of parental angst.
moneypenny1 wrote:Hi everyone
We need some insight into KEHS, ideally from parents whose DDs already attend.
Do they have the right balance between academia and extra curricular activities?
We don't want our daughter to be in a highly competitive environment but to enjoy and thrive.
She is an all rounder: academic, music and sport
Will she fit in?
KenR and others have a lot more knowledge of KEHS than I do, but I would say she would absolutely fly at KEHS. Music is really second to none (the concerts are breathtaking), but the determinedly non-competitive ethos (class positions not reported to parents) and the balance between academic and extra-curricular was probably the biggest attraction for us.

There's no internal competitive sport ((no house system or sports day), so although the sports teams are very successful and many girls play at a high level my suspicion would be that someone wanting to compete at the VERY highest levels in their sport should probably think about going somewhere that makes competitive sport a priority.

Mike
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now