Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

moneypenny1

Re: Solihull school ap places!

Post by moneypenny1 »

Hi everyone

Got a letter from the Bursar at Solihull school today
DD has been given a very generous assisted place

Would have been absolutely amazing news but DD has got a place (full fee) at KEHS and wants to go there
Real dilemma now :roll:

Good luck for those still waiting for news especially lottie78

:)
lottie78

Post by lottie78 »

Hi,
Well done to you and your dd.
It wasn't good news for us, we found on on Monday :(
Thankfully before the open evening but still gutted all the same.
Dreading Friday and the reality of the local comp!
What a lovely dilemma for you to be in, I wish you and your dd all the best.
moneypenny1

Post by moneypenny1 »

Hi lottie78

So sorry to hear you didn't receive good news

Solihull was always our 1st choice because DD didn't think she would pass the KEHS exam
Now having got a place there, all a sudden she's had a change of heart.
But she didn't do well enough to be considered for an AP (done on merit order at KEHS)

TBH would have been much easier for us had she not got a place at KEHS

I wish you and your DC all the best

:)
lottie78

Post by lottie78 »

Hi, thanks
I will be glad when it's all over!!
I really wish he'd got a few more marks on his ke exam as always knew bursary would be a long shot for Solihull.
We've been to parents evening tonight which made me feel worse, he did a practice sats maths test a couple of weeks ago( last years paper) and scored 100/100 more than anyone that actually took the test in his school last year.., grrrrrr
He's doing level 6 in maths and reading in may but it's still not enough to get him into a good school:(
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Oh dear Lottie :( , I really don't know know what to say. This really is the truly awful side of the 11 plus: that there are always some very able students who for some reason just don't perform according to their abilities on the day. I think it is sometimes related to their age too - DS2 is one of the youngest in his year and is usually confident in school tests/ social situations but we were surprised at how frazzled the more formal exams made him.

I wish you both the best for Friday and whichever school awaits him - I have no doubt that he will do well. I hope you don't see this as the end of a road when it really is the beginning of a whole new chapter in his life.

There will be many like you who have been 'cheated' out of a deserved place due to lack of sufficient places :x . I just wanted to thank you for sharing your journey so far with us in such a candid manner as I am sure there are other parents out there in a similar situation. The downside to this forum (even though I know it is a great resource too) is that we read about all these successes which skews the reality of how difficult it is to get a place in a system that bases its decisions on a one-off exam.

All the best over the next few days :)

UmSusu
UmSusu
newbiemum

Post by newbiemum »

Lottie78, did you put bv down as a choice or you just hoping for AS for ke scores? Your a point up on last years score at BV so still a chance? Also id keep on at solihull to find out about your chances of an ap! Good luck!
lottie78

Post by lottie78 »

Hi,
We did put bv but it turns out the score that was given on results letter was incorrect and was slightly higher. Tbh logistically bv wouldn't be an option with no school bus. I couldn't put my only just 11 yr old on two trains. He'd be too scared to go on his own.
newbiemum

Post by newbiemum »

hi lottie78, yeah the 211 and 215- 4 point confusion from 2011? bizarre they get that so wrong to me not good at all. Sounds anyway thats a bit too far BV I wouldn't want my DS doing that either Id spend my days mythering about it too! We ruled out travel and put local comp over other GS, even though he was borderline FW as a 3rd choice - too far! Im happy to know he is bright and im sure will do well wherever in reality, just have to get over my slight disapointment quietly if thats the case!! I too know of a few boys who are top of DS school that didn't do so well and are mega disapointed, not fair its judged on the one performance I agree when clearly so bright and had off day. Mine is middle of the road so i can't quite feel so upset I don't think if we don't get in, i do see your dilema however. Just hope you get some good news from Solihull then, it may still happen for you its a nervous wait all round! Good luck and fingers crossed!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now