KEHS Meeting

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Teacosy

Re: KEHS Meeting

Post by Teacosy »

I have not heard of anyone having extra tutoring. I would say the excellent results are due to the fact girls reach a level above and beyond what is required for GCSE.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Our daughter isn't at GCSE stage so I'll have to reserve judgement, but I would hazard a guess that it's fundamentally down to smaller class sizes and taking fewer GCSEs than any of the GSs except CHB. The target GCSE grade for almost everyone at any KE school whether grammar or indie will be A/A* pretty much across the board; I would imagine, though, that it's a little easier for a GS child who really doesn't like/get a particular subject or teacher to slip below that, especially if they have 13-14 GCSEs on their plate.

I've not heard of anyone having tuition at KEHS but I know how ambitious some of the parents are so I wouldn't be at all surprised if it happens. Whether it's really necessary or not is another matter. Same applies at GS.

Mike
Poppins

Post by Poppins »

Many thanks both for your very helpful answers!

Although I was disappointed but the KEHS meeting, I found all teachers truly inspiring, and I can easily see how they can get such high results from girls.

This is interesting to know about the higher number of GCSEs in Grammar Schools than in KES/KEHS and can explain why some of the Grammar Schools results in core subjects go below A. This is possibly where parents need to keep a closer eye/supplement with private tuition, should they see their DC falling behind or losing motivation?

Only a few days to make decision now, we are visiting both schools soon again with our DD, so hopefully it should help the decision making. :?
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Yes, revisits always help. We find visiting the school on a normal day makes all the difference. Open days are good for a general feel but once your child has a place, it's specifics that matter more in our opinion.

Had this been a thread asking about the actual school rather than a single meeting then that would have prompted a different answer, however the OP asked about the meeting alone. It's clear current parents love the school, they just don't bother with the Curriculum Meeting :lol:

In any case, a fair number of girls we know have accepted their places at KEHS (about 10 girls so far). In doing so they have freed up their Grammar places for those that need them.

I'm sure you'll make the right decision Poppins :)
Teacosy

Post by Teacosy »

Some KEHS girls take ten GCSEs plus a non-exam subject such as food or sports leadership. Many take eleven and some also study for astronomy GCSE independently, making a total of twelve. Do the grammar pupils really do more than that? How do they fit it in?!!!

Good luck with your decision, Poppins. I hope the visits make everything clear for you and your DD. You have two fantastic schools to choose from!
Poppins

Post by Poppins »

Many thanks to all for your advice, and good wishes. Looking forward to our both school visits next week (SCGSG and KEHS) to make our final decision....I am conscious this thread was initially opened re: KEHS meeting, so I would not like to make it diverge any further, and hopefully I will not have to open a new thread on "Sutton vs. KEHS" next week :? (currently reading the thread Sutton vs. EHS, which will hopefully give us some perspective from SCGSG Parents, as we know little about the school...)

Thanks again and very best wishes to all!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now