Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MSD

Re: 2013 exam

Post by MSD »

Strange! But here it is..

Hi HappyDad,

I hope you are well!

Just saw your post where you mentioned your son will be catching the Green Bus for induction day on Wednesday. We were thinking of catching the Green Bus and I was wondering if they can give each other company, as he has never travelled on his own before. We were planning to catch it from the bus station (Goldthorn Park before Ward Road) by Fighting Cocks lights close to Aldi. As far as I know the bust leaves at 7:00am from there and gets back at 5:05pm. Let me know your thoughts.

Regards
MSD
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

My DS found it extremely hard :-(. Only thing he said was 'easy' was the Cloze!
school cynic

Post by school cynic »

My twins came out with totally different conclusions.
:roll:

DD said it was, 'actually OK', DS said it was, 'really hard'. And yet they sat the same paper!
amrit bhogal

Post by amrit bhogal »

Happy dad wrote:Strange how the mind works. My DS was chilled after Despicable Me 2 last night and swimming this morning. He came out saying it was fairly straight- forward. So I was happy. Now I read others saying it was difficult. Now I am worried.

Now just two months until the Birmingham Consortium exam.
hi,my DD is taking sutton coldfield high school entrance exam in sept...will the exam paper be similar to the one she took yesterday??
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

MSD wrote:Strange! But here it is..

Hi HappyDad,

I hope you are well!

Just saw your post where you mentioned your son will be catching the Green Bus for induction day on Wednesday. We were thinking of catching the Green Bus and I was wondering if they can give each other company, as he has never travelled on his own before. We were planning to catch it from the bus station (Goldthorn Park before Ward Road) by Fighting Cocks lights close to Aldi. As far as I know the bust leaves at 7:00am from there and gets back at 5:05pm. Let me know your thoughts.

Regards
MSD
Still no PM.

Apologies, my wife changed my well laid plans and he has caught the FW8 with a son of my sister's neighbour. It meant leaving the house at 6.30 which neither me or said son were too happy about. It would be my intention for him to use the FW7 come August as it means an extra 20 minutes in bed.

He is in 7NT.

Hope your son has an enjoyable journey and day.
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

amrit bhogal wrote:
Happy dad wrote:Strange how the mind works. My DS was chilled after Despicable Me 2 last night and swimming this morning. He came out saying it was fairly straight- forward. So I was happy. Now I read others saying it was difficult. Now I am worried.

hi,my DD is taking sutton coldfield high school entrance exam in sept...will the exam paper be similar to the one she took yesterday??
Yes, I believe so.
amrit bhogal

Post by amrit bhogal »

Happy dad wrote:
amrit bhogal wrote:

Yes, I believe so.
thanx...
Sean_uk

Post by Sean_uk »

DS sat QM paper yesterday afternoon. Said that he found it 'all round- relatively straightforward' - the forums here help a lot when deducing what particular content will be found on the exams papers. Cloze was 'straightforward' in DC's view (thanks to KenR and others for all their work on these forums) and the work he'd put in on quick-maths tests and ****** paid off - so he says!! His weakest area before was Eng Comp but he put, probably, just enough to not let it faze him...who can tell!!

I'm getting the impression a lot of children found it difficult due to the section on NVR. Sadly, in my view a lot of time is wasted 'studying' the wrong type of NVR. ie, those that are found in Bonds etc.

Logic clearly plays a big part in this and anything we parents can do to help them will be beneficial. I don't think simply looking at books either is the answer - visits to galleries, exhibitions etc do help as viewing objects from different perspectives gives some similarity to many of these NVR type qs.

I'd love to comment more about tutors but I don't think this is the correct page for it - all I will say is that any DP who engages a tutor for their DP ensure that he / she reads the forum here and in particular, understand the peculiarity of the Durham CEM paper as, IMHO, few actually do.

S
unpanickydad

Post by unpanickydad »

I don't know what to make of how my little girl did, she found the algebra stuff hard and simply could not comprehend the question and stuck a blank in the whole section. Apparently she wrote down random numbers that meant something to her.

It is our first time ever in doing these exams and I thought she was doing so well in her revision and learning new ways to think.
The more I think about it, actually not that optimistic now....It is going to be a long wait for the results.
jazgov

Post by jazgov »

My daughter took the entrance exam at wghs yesterday... she studied hard for this exam and was tutored... my daughter described the exam to be hard and also all the bond and nelson books/papers she revised from, not even one question was in the exam. My daughter said the exam had different questions to what she has learned over the past year.... STRESSED is not the right term to describe how I am feeling at this present time. :cry: