Walsall exam this year

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Midlandsmom

Walsall exam this year

Post by Midlandsmom »

Hi, I am clearly a bit ditsy, as I've literally only just realised the Walsall exam is not on a weekend! As it's mid week and in term time, what have people generally done about requesting the day off primary school, not sure whether to ask at the office now (as I've registered child and have email confirmation) or wait until nearer the time. Assuming it will be a half day type exam, but our primary is a good half hour (at least) drive away so I don't think there would be much benefit in even taking child in for part of the day. What have others done in the past, whole day off? And am I likely to have any resistance from primary school or is having time off for this exam pretty much accepted and normal in the Midlands? Eldest child/first time 11+ mom issues!
pinkhousemom

Re: Walsall exam this year

Post by pinkhousemom »

It shouldn't be a problem. They won't lose a registration mark as it's classed as being educated elsewhere. There may be other children you're not aware of also sitting the exam from your school.
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

We took the day off from Birmingham primary without issue. It was parking chaos near the boys school even though we got there early.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

From what I remember observing driving past at the Boys school on last years exams parents were having to drop their children off at the school gates.I don't know if this happened throughout the morning.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Midlandsmom

Post by Midlandsmom »

muminbrum wrote:We took the day off from Birmingham primary without issue. It was parking chaos near the boys school even though we got there early.
Hmm, might trial the bus then, Walsall is not my first choice really, but is doable as we are on a bus route. It's not a route I know though so maybe we take the opportunity to see what the journey would be like and avoid parking issues on the day. In light of your post Quasimodo - looks like trialling the bus is the way to go!

We are at a Sandwell primary, and pinkhousemom you are probably right there's likely to be others, sounds like it will be a non issue then :)
muminbrum

Post by muminbrum »

It's the usual thing of if you are prepared to park and walk 5 min there's no problem but many expect to park 10 sec away. For the boys parents leave them at the gate and don't go onto site before the test so you might want to prepare your child for this. Mine didn't give two hoots! Afterwards they let you onto the site to collect them.
Midlandsmom

Post by Midlandsmom »

Thanks, I wasn't aware that I wouldn't be able to go on site with him, that's useful to know in advance - to prepare us both! Happy to park and walk, but the idea of trying the bus is starting to appeal to me, mainly because I have no idea how easy/not the journey would be for him to make alone day in, day out if he went there. Having said that, if we go by bus I have no idea what I will do until I can pick him up again, roam the local streets like a lunatic?! May have to Google local cafés! I really don't know the area at all!
pinkhousemom

Post by pinkhousemom »

If the weather is nice on the day, you could take yourself a picnic to the arboretum. :)
MrsPab

Post by MrsPab »

Hi, my Daughter sat the exam for WGHS last year and I took her out of school for the day. She had a nice relaxing morning, ate well and was ready for the exam after lunch. School were fine with it and as mentioned earlier is not an unauthorised absence. Wishing you the very best of luck! :D
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

Does anyone know what time the exam is? Our school has clashed with with an event and I'm hoping they will change it ( the school not the exam)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now