Wolverhampton Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Turtlegirl

Wolverhampton Grammar School

Post by Turtlegirl »

Anyone know anything about the exam for WGS? I note that it's in November this year. Any idea of numbers who take the exam or get offers? The school seems to do pretty well on paper and it looks like the ex-Camp Hill head has done good stuff, although he's retiring this summer.

I just realised that the journey might be better for us than the one to KES, if we end up going down the private school route. And they do Latin :)
Happy dad

Re: Wolverhampton Grammar School

Post by Happy dad »

I think most grammar schools do, although BV is an exception. It is an option from Year 8.

When you register you get sent a sample paper. From memory it is fairly standard stuff and like most independent schools tests you have to write a short story. My ds says it was far easier than the other exams he took and he was offered a place with a substantial fee reduction but we opted for a KE free one instead.
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Thanks Happy Dad. Am encouraged that the exam sounds a little easier!

I have looked at Latin options, and it's only offered by KE Fiveways and KE Camp Hill. Not BV, QMGS nor Aston, alas (nor KE Handsworth nor Sutton Girls but not considering them this time round). Transport to Camp Hill would be a nightmare and Fiveways is also at the furthest stretch for travel for us. And my boy has a thing about languages, so I'd love him to go somewhere that has good language teaching, both modern and ancient. Of the remaining boys schools, I think QMGS seemed keenest on languages but my impression was that for Aston and BV the languages were rather token. Maybe a thing with boys not being so keen (am obviously generalising massively)?
FunkyMonkey

Post by FunkyMonkey »

Dear Happy Dad, may I cheekily ask what kind of substantial fee reduction? Please PM me, or choose to ignore.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Camp Hill don't do Latin. Five Ways is the only B'ham GS to offer Latin.

There was a huge emphasis on languages at BV when we looked at it a few years ago (2 in Y7 and 3 in Y8), things may have changed I suppose.

Mike
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

mike1880 wrote:Camp Hill don't do Latin. Five Ways is the only B'ham GS to offer Latin.

There was a huge emphasis on languages at BV when we looked at it a few years ago (2 in Y7 and 3 in Y8), things may have changed I suppose.

Mike
The Latin teacher left and has not been replaced.
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

FunkyMonkey wrote:Dear Happy Dad, may I cheekily ask what kind of substantial fee reduction? Please PM me, or choose to ignore.
PM sent, hope you receive it.
Wolves mum

Post by Wolves mum »

Hi happy dad,
Just wondering can you remember how long WGS took to give results from the exam?
I know there are fewer scholarships available this year (I think the Head mentioned 7).
I was just wondering what the results process was.

Thanks
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

They gave more scholarships last year as it was the 500th anniversary.

I must admit the timetable is a bit of a blurr(probably due to being hospitalised from December to February) but do recall having correspondence in mid- February, but I honestly can't recall if that was the result or about fees- sorry. I will try and locate paperwork.

The offer letter gave no details of score or ranking just that a place was being offered and a date by which it had to be accepted.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now