When to start tutoring?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
school cynic

Re: When to start tutoring?

Post by school cynic »

I wanted to be sure that my DCs had the academic capabilities and that they were still performing well at school before agreeing to get a tutor in for them. I gave them until the end of Year 4 and they were still doing consistently well. So tutoring started just after the start of Year 5. At that time I didn't realise the Walsall tests were going to be early and the tutor did say often that they had a lot to cram in. I still feel I wouldn't want them to be tutored any longer than that - the sessions, the homework cut into so much of their time. My two had to give up most of their after school activities until the tests were over. They still had 'the day job' going on, so schoolwork was still paramount. And my personal feeling is that if they have the capabilities, then a year should be ample.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

school cynic wrote:I wanted to be sure that my DCs had the academic capabilities and that they were still performing well at school before agreeing to get a tutor in for them. I gave them until the end of Year 4 and they were still doing consistently well. So tutoring started just after the start of Year 5. At that time I didn't realise the Walsall tests were going to be early and the tutor did say often that they had a lot to cram in. I still feel I wouldn't want them to be tutored any longer than that - the sessions, the homework cut into so much of their time. My two had to give up most of their after school activities until the tests were over. They still had 'the day job' going on, so schoolwork was still paramount. And my personal feeling is that if they have the capabilities, then a year should be ample.
Sorry to be nosy but did your dc score above last year's qualifying score as per Walsall test - I'm thinking about starting in year 5 instead of year 4 & agree with your reasons.
diseyp

Post by diseyp »

I believe the real answer lies with the child - try some online tests and see how they do, whether they have weak areas etc. - we used online tests and my sons could do them in half the allotted time and score well but they both really struggled on the test day with the speed needed for CEM - as far as I can tell the tutors don't use CEM as such, the real exam content is shrouded in mystery and the kids' brains are so fried afterwards that you stand little chance of finding out (my elder son came out crying and said "you taught me the wrong things") - tutors work on the different types of questions to bolster weaker areas but, if after doing some online work, you believe your child doesn't need this then tutoring will just be tedious and expensive. I agree that we all want to give our child the best chance and how we do that varies a lot ...
HeatherPrep

Post by HeatherPrep »

Children who are capable and won't struggle when they get to grammar school will only need showing the techniques and need some help with pace. Tutors and schools have as much access to CEM style material as anyone else does...we are all in the same boat. I know of one grammar school head who thinks that 8hours of preparation should be plenty, whilst it does seem a little low, I'm inclined to believe him. I've seen so many children who get to grammar school and then receivied their year seven reports which say that they have found life there a little difficult . With that in mind I believe that an initial assessment of reading age, spelling and maths ability should give you a good inkling of whether they will be able to cope with the pressure of the school lifestyle, not just get through the test. It's tough!

Any tutoring before year 4 should be to develop vocabulary and assess whether your child is a worker and has the potential. Tutors who have lots of experience should be able to tell you within a few weeks of meeting your child and getting to know them academically.

Natural ability is the key! End of year 4 should be plenty.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

We started with our son 12 months before the exam and that seemed to work well, he was motivated and doing extremely well when the exam came round. Our daughter took over his place as a simple matter of convenience when he finished so started a year earlier, and in hindsight that was a mistake, by the time the exam came round the novelty had worn off and it was all a bit of a chore.

The only thing I would say in favour of starting in Y4 is that you will struggle to get a place with a reputable tutor in Y5, they will all be booked up.

Mike
Emmalou

Post by Emmalou »

My daughter started tutoring in October 2012 for the Calderdale test (Yorkshire), her test was yesterday (05/10/13) We find out her result on 18th October so not long to wait. There are 310 places across the two schools
OldTrout

Post by OldTrout »

Hi Dave1879:

I think turtlegirl raises a good point - the 11+ kind of takes over your life so starting all guns blazing in year 4 may be too early (not so much for your DC but for you - you'll be sick to your back teeth by the end).

We went DIY and are still awaiting results for our little fish (she took the exam Sept 2013) - but my advice for year 4 would be this:

Make sure that all calculation skills in maths are sound (For Y4: addition/ subtraction to at least 3 digits, multiplication tables to x12/ inverse multiplication tables to x12 all solid) (For Y5: addition/ subtraction into thousands, metric conversions, sound multiplication tables/ inverse facts + able to multiply at least 2 digits x 3 digits & division with remainders. Good fraction skills, understand percentages, mean, median & mode & work on geometry - both angles within shapes & area of shapes).

READ - read children's classics and take the time to discuss what they're reading and pick them up on what words mean. Someone posted here about having their daughter write down 'new words' and then look up their definition - and frankly that was a brilliant piece of advice.

Suggested reading lists here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... ading-list" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We started slow and made sure there was lots of reading going on. If there is an area of weakness (maths, spelling, vocabulary, etc.... - then search out things that will help build skills in that area).

We started bond 11+ practice books, etc... in Y5

My one piece of advice is that during 11+ practice book/ on-line 11+ work your child will become adept at avoiding the thing they don't enjoy (for my little fish it was comprehension, which is always on the King Edwards Consortium CEM - so we knew there was no avoiding it). Agree to let them do the thing they want (in our case our little fish liked NVR) but only after the horrible thing they would rather not be doing.

Someone suggested taking a play break to me just before starting our longer summer sessions and I have to say taking 15 minutes and throwing the ball around, watching a cat in the garden (we have a regular visitor you could set your watch by) or going for a naughty ice cream to celebrate a great result really does help boost morale and keep it fun.

I don't know how my little fish will do (we find out in less than two weeks now) - but from our perspective this process has been wonderful. She's improved beyond recognition and has gained a lot of confidence in school through this process. So regardless of whether our little fish passes or not, we're incredibly proud of her!
diseyp

Post by diseyp »

Old Trout - I so hope she passes - what you have described sounds so relaxed and "normal" unlike the frenetic (and I suspect counterproductive) regimes which it appears some poor children are subjected to .. as I said - all the best for results day !
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Don't despair if you haven't got them up to speed before Y5 on basics- I discovered in Feb that dd could not do ANY of old trout's maths list except part of the times tables (thanks a bunch, outstanding primary school). I taught it all myself and she felt happy with her performance in maths in the exam she took in Sept and got put in the extension group now in year 6 doing properly INTERESTING maths- great result!
OldTrout

Post by OldTrout »

Thanks for good wishes disyep

silversea raises a really good point - if you are really weak in an area try not to panic and avoid making your DC feel bad about it. Just be clear that this is going to take more work & make a point of putting in extra time, getting in support materials, etc.... and you'll get there.

It may sound silly but a good session with a search engine can lead you to a lot of useful information: just try How to do VR and select videos and you'll see what I mean.