When to start tutoring?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kanamm

Re: When to start tutoring?

Post by kanamm »

My DS started tuitions from second term of year 4 . I feel it was good for him to start early. Year five was just too hectic. I am happy we started middle of year 4 for my DS.
school cynic

Re: When to start tutoring?

Post by school cynic »

Bob1892 wrote:
school cynic wrote:I wanted to be sure that my DCs had the academic capabilities and that they were still performing well at school before agreeing to get a tutor in for them. I gave them until the end of Year 4 and they were still doing consistently well. So tutoring started just after the start of Year 5. At that time I didn't realise the Walsall tests were going to be early and the tutor did say often that they had a lot to cram in. I still feel I wouldn't want them to be tutored any longer than that - the sessions, the homework cut into so much of their time. My two had to give up most of their after school activities until the tests were over. They still had 'the day job' going on, so schoolwork was still paramount. And my personal feeling is that if they have the capabilities, then a year should be ample.
Sorry to be nosy but did your dc score above last year's qualifying score as per Walsall test - I'm thinking about starting in year 5 instead of year 4 & agree with your reasons.
Hi Bob, I have twins, DS scored just under the qualifying score (311), DD was above (363). As the other posters have said each child is different. My two are testament to that. But I honestly believe that even if they had more time to prepare, they wouldn't have done any better. Worse still, they may have lost interest. I really needed to see their natural potential before trying for the 11+ otherwise IMO it would be a waste of time, money and furthermore, heartbreak.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now