WGHS result

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cookeysplice

WGHS result

Post by cookeysplice »

My daughter achieved 339. Can I assume I pretty much have a place pending my first choice of WGHS or should I still be worrying slightly ? The letter had the normal wording " strongly urge"...."given the standardised score etc.." I do know of another letter which hinted at reserve status but this was through my ten year olds interpretation. Advice please !
Rupy

Re: WGHS result

Post by Rupy »

Hello Cookiesplice,

I think your dd is pretty safe, remember the cut off point for WGHS was 297 and the letter says the results were similar to last years. On that basis say if this years cut off realistically is 300 -305 or 320 -325 (unlikely) - your daughter will be fine

Regards

Rupy
dhill76

Post by dhill76 »

Hi Cookiesplice (& Rupy)

My daughter also achieved 339 in the hope of a place at WGHS.

WGHS will be our first choice too, but despite the cut off being 297 last year, I'm still concerned that she won't get a place, and she will be utterly devastated!

I think what is worrying me is that at least 5 other girls in her class have also achieved well above the cut-off point (they are a bright bunch!), and i'm wondering whether there will be so many successful girls achieving highly this year, that the cut-off will rise significantly?? I'm new to all of this, so could this happen??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
MSD

Post by MSD »

Dhil76,

You have absolutely nothing to worry about. She will most definitely be offered a place at WGHS, as long as you place it as your first priority on the LEA form.

Just to give you an idea, between the score of 297 and 339, there could be as many as 400 candidates. Considering half of these were boys, you still have 200 girls left. So assuming all things were equal as last year, they will have to reject an additional 200 girls to not offer a place to yours.

By the way the numbers are only approximate and have only been provided to highlight the importance of the potential number of candidates you can have on each standardized point.

Okanagan might be able to provide you with a more precise figure.

MSD
MSD

Post by MSD »

I was provided with the following formula by Okanagan to approximately work out the percentage of candidates who scored above a certain standardised score and here it is:

Let's consider a standardised score of 339 - Assuming it was made up of three 113 scores that would give you a z of (113-100)/15 = 0.8666 for each subject area
0.8666 equates to approximately 20% scoring higher for that subject area (Try this
http://www.doe.virginia.gov/testing/tes ... _table.pdf z-table)

so 20% of the total candidates would be ranked higher.

But as we don't know the degree of correlation between the three subject areas - working out the three separate ranks and averaging them would probably give as good an estimate of overall rank as you are going to get.

Hope this helps!

MSD
Rupy

Post by Rupy »

Dear Cookeysplice/DHill

I think a score of 339 is pretty safe. I know it seems an agonising wait until March. Meanwhile remember to put them first on the preference form.

Rupy
dhill76

Post by dhill76 »

Thanks for this brilliant info MSD! I really appreciate you taking the time to reply, and I certainly feel better about my daughters chances now.
Last edited by dhill76 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esam99

Post by esam99 »

Many parents and potential pupils were invited by WGHS. The head speech was as follows:

1. 850+ pupils applied for test this year (in July 2013);
2. some of them would of taken the test as mock test and would not be their preferred school;
3. the new building will be ready in June 2013;
4. this year GCSE results were 81% of all grades were either A*/A (position 17 & best school in West Midlands as per "Telegraph" - see http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/le ... sults.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;);
5. school starts at 8.50am and finishes at 3.40pm with optional clubs starting at 4pm for an hour;
6. six lessons per day, each for 50 minutes.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

esam99 wrote:Many parents and potential pupils were invited by WGHS. The head speech was as follows:

1. 850+ pupils applied for test this year (in July 2013);
2. some of them would of taken the test as mock test and would not be their preferred school;
3. the new building will be ready in June 2013;
4. this year GCSE results were 81% of all grades were either A*/A (position 17 & best school in West Midlands as per "Telegraph" - see http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/le ... sults.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;);
5. school starts at 8.50am and finishes at 3.40pm with optional clubs starting at 4pm for an hour;
6. six lessons per day, each for 50 minutes.
Veering slightly off topic, but interesting table! So CHG is 19, KEVIHS is 25, KEAston is 74 and CHB is 81!
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

Veering slightly off topic, but interesting table! So CHG is 19, KEVIHS is 25, KEAston is 74 and CHB is 81![/quote]

Check the last column 'Percentage A-A*' Moseleymum... The list is a bit misleading!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now