Did anyone take Birmingham AND Warwickshire?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

um

Re: Did anyone take Birmingham AND Warwickshire?

Post by um »

I think Birmingham is expanding much faster though :shock:

(Although I have to take some of the blame for that :wink: )
Thegodfather

Post by Thegodfather »

West midlands had the highest fertility rate in the entire uk in 2008.....

Maybe this is why KEF are increasing the PAN!
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Thegodfather wrote:Birth figures uk

1999 621,872
2000 604,441
2001 594,634
2002 596,122
2003 621,469

2008 708,711 eeeek!
Oh no, DS4 is 2008 and only just started reception - I didn't want to think about birth rates just yet :shock: . Oh well, I guess I better get started - are there any VR books out there for kids who don't know their alphabet yet?? :lol: I am sure CGP will come along with one soon
UmSusu
um

Post by um »

At least thegodfather and I are together in our 20 week wait to find out what will happen on 1 March.

I was never very good at waiting :?

To make it worse we are about to sell our house and I now don't have a clue where to move...
MSD

Post by MSD »

UmSusu wrote: (we found out that DS had twice missed double sides in the Brum exam: he was aware that he missed the last 2 sides of the cloze section because he thought he finished and only saw it as he moved on, but when we asked for a re-mark we found that he did the same in a maths section too).
UmSusu, I was under the impression that a re-mark for CEM test isn't allowed. So, really useful to know.

Did they tell you after the re-mark that he had missed out two pages or you just guessed based on the lower than expected score?

MSD
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

Too much speculation going on.. Let's just accept that the exams are different? It's not like GCSEs where everyone knows the subject contents, so you just revise everything and bits come up. These exams have unknown content.. hence the irregularities.

Um, the nightmares are a very real result of panic.. a child will rarely admit it. It could well be that she felt under pressure to keep up with her brothers? In any case, I have full faith she will gain her well deserved place KECH :)
um

Post by um »

Thank you, Reeyah.
I do hope that your optimism rubs off on me...
I can't help but wonder why the consortium had to hire so many more test centres this year...including Langley and Light Hall. Must have been a much larger number of children taking the exam...
You are right, no matter how hard I tried to take the pressure off dd, having two big brothers at CH (and all three children are very close in age) was a big issue for her.
Anyway, dd and I are just listening to The Lion King's Endless Night song to keep our hopes up :D
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

MSD, you can't ask for a remark as such, but if you are planning to appeal and let them know in March, then their first step is to look at the papers again. They can give you a breakdown of the scores too if you ask which includes how many attempted/unanswered/ correct questions in each section. We knew he missed one section anyway and the 25 marks unattempted in the VR confirmed this, but breakdown also mentioned another 10 marks not attempted in the maths and he was adamant that he didn't leave out anything and finished early :roll:

I made it clear at the time that I didn't have any mitigating circumstances and any appeal would be on academic grounds only. I didn't go through with the appeal hearing in the end - I was just told that would be the only way I could receive a breakdown.
UmSusu
MSD

Post by MSD »

Thanks UmSusu!
80's girl

Post by 80's girl »

My ds scored 242 for bham 231 for warks and 345 for Walsall. He thought that the warks test was the most difficult.

It seems we are in a similar situation to the Godfather as would like Chg, but are just relieved he managed to do so well. I wish there could be a fairer process for all the children :(
Last edited by 80's girl on Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now