Sutton Girls?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
um

Re: Sutton Girls?

Post by um »

I don't think this is a tight score for KEVI Handsworth at all.

They are definitely expanding this year by a extra class so I can't see why the score needed last year (216) could possibly jump by more than 6 points.

Your dd scored around 116 per section in the QM exam, and around 111 per section in the Birmingham exam, which is a jump down of 5 points.
My dd's score jumped down by average 10 points per section so I do feel in a similar situation to you :(

On the plus side, maybe they'll both meet up at KE Handsworth together :D

As for travel, it is an important factor; I would complete the journey to both schools with her, if you have not already done this, to see what it is like.
knotmum

Post by knotmum »

Thanks for all the positive replies. It's good to hear from parents of girls who are happy there too. I keep telling DD its a great school and earlier this evening she turned to me, smiled and said "I'm going to grammar school" (of course I know she hasn't actually got a place yet and we have to wait until March) it was good to see her looking positive again. I expect this emotional roller coaster has a few twists and turns to come yet!

Good luck to those of you still deciding, hope your dd's get their first choice!
Cookiemonster

Post by Cookiemonster »

Thanks Um for your response and advice. This is all new to us as it is our first child, we clearly still have a lot to learn. Am now feeling a little more relaxed after your response. :) There is a wealth of information on this site and clearly some very knowledgeable people.

I read through some of your other posts on CEM exams and weightings, this may go some way to explain my daughters very different scores.

Either way like you said, maybe our DD's will both meet up at KE Handsworth :D !!

Knotmum, we know many families who have been very happy with SCGSG and this was also our initial first choice, but DD's preference is for KEHW. Both schools have their pro's can't really think of con's other than for us KEHW is a little further away. We still have two weeks if we decide to change our minds or should i say change DD's mind :D !! Either way we will be happy with either of these schools.
Hearts4

Post by Hearts4 »

Our DD has a very slim chance of getting SCGSG, but we will put it on the preference form and hope! SCGSG is by no means close to us, but it would be interesting to learn where other girls travel from/plan to travel from to get there. The thought of sending our 11yr old DD alone on a 40 min train journey with a 10 min walk to school fills us with dread!! Does anyone have any knowledge of how many girls use the Redditch - Lichfield line (our DD would board at either Longbridge or Northfield)
zha

Post by zha »

@Hearts4: lots of girls travel from all over B'ham to get to SCGSG. Some come by bus, some by train and others by shared cars. The nearest train station on the Lichfield line is Wylde Green on the Station Rd which is easy walking distance to the school.
knotmum

Post by knotmum »

Hearts4 I use the cross city line to get to work. Lots of students from SCGSG and also BV and Aston use the line. I see the ones travelling from the north the most but I'm sure others come from south of the city. As far as I know the school have a travel buddy system too so you can find other girls travelling the same route.
firebrand1

Post by firebrand1 »

We too have a DD who has changed her mind a bit but on balance prefers Handsworth to Sutton but we are based in Sutton. Any from Sutton area in same boat who have worked out travel? I know there are ways to get there on Green Bus but as they seem to be cancelling services all over the place, I don't know if they represent a good option. Salander and Cookiemonster I have pmed you (hope I was ok to).
Cookiemonster

Post by Cookiemonster »

firebrand1 wrote:We too have a DD who has changed her mind a bit but on balance prefers Handsworth to Sutton but we are based in Sutton. Any from Sutton area in same boat who have worked out travel? I know there are ways to get there on Green Bus but as they seem to be cancelling services all over the place, I don't know if they represent a good option. Salander and Cookiemonster I have pmed you (hope I was ok to).
Firebrand1 I think it is highly unlikely that the Green Bus service for Aston/Handsworth will be cancelled as this services three schools. Speaking to the Green Bus service operators at KEHW open day, they believe there is currently sufficient demand for this particular route. Although a little pricey it is the safest option.
Hopefuldad7

Post by Hopefuldad7 »

Hi all,

We went to see Sutton Girls and my DD absolutely loved it. It is a great school and I know parents who have children there speak very highly about it.

I have been told by many many parents to go for the school that is closest to you. 7 years of travelling can take its toll.

We live closer to Handsworth so we are putting that first, followed VERY closely by Sutton. However, if we had lived closer to Sutton I would not hesitate to put Sutton as first choice. It is one the best girls schools in the country!
dmr

Post by dmr »

Hi all. First time poster here. I've been reading for a while and found lots of useful info but feel compelled to post as the Sutton Girls v Handsworth is also our dilemma.
After open days our DD favoured KEHW but we have steadily changed her mind as we really think Sutton is a better option for our family and also seems to be a fantastic school. Handsworth is twice the distance for us (Sutton only 3 miles) and whereas we have a regular public bus service to Sutton, for KEHW we would rely on a green bus. Making school choices based on this service seems so scary to me. The bus service from our area to camp hill that was available last year has now been cancelled.
We also have two younger daughters and may (ability depending) be making a choice lasting 14 years. Convenience has to be an important factor surely?
If KEHW was a far better school than SG we may feel differently but it's not, is it? We feel confident that our DD will do well at SG and her score of 226 should be safe. But when I see posters who live very close to SG saying they are going for KEHW it sows seeds of doubt in my mind again.
By the way our DD did much better in the Walsall test too, scoring 353 in that one and 226 in B'ham. Interesting to see that other people have the same experience.
Like the OP I'd love some reassurance that our choice of SG is the right one. Any help appreciated.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now