LEA form

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
CuriousDuo

LEA form

Post by CuriousDuo »

Hello, newbie here, I was just wondering if I put camp hill first but my son hasn't met the required mark and I put qmgs second and have the required score will I be offered the place or will another boy who has the same score but puts qmgs first get in and not my boy because other people with lower scores but put qmgs first get in. Any reply very much appreciated.
Okanagan

Re: Lea forum

Post by Okanagan »

Where you place a school on the form has no impact on allocations - in fact the schools do not even get to know where you placed them. If you don't get your first preference school your application moves on to your second choice where it will be treated EXACTLY as if you had placed it first - in effect you just slot into the order of merit according to score.

In practice it actually works that the school know everyone who has put them down on the form anywhere, but without knowing which preference it was. As people get allocated a higher preference they got knocked off the lists of the lower priority schools.

So in your case QMGS would have you on their list, in score order. If you got an offer from Camp Hill you would be crossed off the QMGS list (and that of any other lower priorities) - if not you are already there, in position, and subject to being high enough up the list once they've crossed off anyone who got a place at a higher priority school, you get an offer.

As always the advice is to put your preferences down in the true order you want them, but to make sure that somewhere on your form - last if needs be - you do put a school you are certain to get a place at (usually your catchment school). If you don't do this, and get none of your choices you risk being allocated a place at the nearest school which remains undersubscribed after everybody else's preferences have been met, which might not be one you'd choose.

Another warning is that it is a fallacy to think that if you don't use all you preferences - only listing one or two for example - then you must be allocated one of these. It's not true, but every year there are some people who do exactly this and get left without a place/area just allocated one which they hadn't chosen.