Hodgehill to BV or KEFW ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

zuhud

Hodgehill to BV or KEFW ?

Post by zuhud »

Just wondering if there are any parents currently sending their dc to any of these schools. I'm hoping you can give me advice on experiences regarding travel, school etc

Went to KE Aston this morning, closest to grammar to us. but was not impressed with the facilities. Everything seemed a little too cramped, narrow corridors, small dinning hall and not much greenery onsite. However Teachers were very friendly and children well mannered. Pupils did mention that since the safe route had been established there have been no incidents for 18 months. It was my first choice but now im not so sure.

I am seriously considering Five Ways or BV. BV travel is to catch the 7:45 train at duddeston train station and then 9 minute walk to school 30 mins to get there. Five Ways would be a car drive to fox and goose for green bus at 7ish so 1 hr and 15 mins travel,.

I don't think there is much between either of these schools academically, but Five ways seems to have more extra curricular activities plus a onsite swimming pool / climbing wall, which just happen to be my sons favourite pastimes :?

Would really love some advice to help me decide which order i should put school preferences. Oh by the way son is fairly shy and dw is insisting no green bus' she is worried he might be bullied all the way to school .... :roll:
muminbrum

Re: Hodgehill to BV or KEFW HELP!!!!!!

Post by muminbrum »

There is a thread on here about upcoming changes to the Green Bus service and we have already seen one of the routes to KEFW cancelled mid-year this year so I would be wary of choosing a school where that is your only transport option.

I thought the BV site was very nice - playing fields, rowing etc. KEFW does have a pool but have you seen it? It's not much bigger than our bath! DS is in Y7 at KEFW and has yet to get his trunks wet! He has been climbing one lunch time though.

RE. travel - I think there will be incidents whichever mode you choose and whereever you travel. Ds is getting a crowded public bus and isn't fazed at all. I came very close to paying the considerable extra cost to send him on the green bus for the sake of safety but he was happy to try the public bus and no issues so far.
um

Post by um »

muminbrum,

I would like to see your bath :wink:
Thegodfather

Post by Thegodfather »

muminbrum wrote:There is a thread on here about upcoming changes to the Green Bus service and we have already seen one of the routes to KEFW cancelled mid-year this year so I would be wary of choosing a school where that is your only transport option.

I thought the BV site was very nice - playing fields, rowing etc. KEFW does have a pool but have you seen it? It's not much bigger than our bath! DS is in Y7 at KEFW and has yet to get his trunks wet! He has been climbing one lunch time though.

RE. travel - I think there will be incidents whichever mode you choose and whereever you travel. Ds is getting a crowded public bus and isn't fazed at all. I came very close to paying the considerable extra cost to send him on the green bus for the sake of safety but he was happy to try the public bus and no issues so far.

Tee hee I was thinking paddling pool!!

45mins extra in bed.... And how much in the afternoon? Time to go to your local pool maybe?!

My sister is having a dilema about which school to send her daughter to. Dd likes the one with the pool (7.30-5.30 day), yet there us an outstanding school (comp) about 1/2 a mile away (8.30-4.00). So thats a cost of 2.5hrs a day five days a week, 12.5hrs a week. Thats 475 hours/20 days of your year lost in travelling for a pool that you might get in once a week at best...
zuhud

Post by zuhud »

I was thinking the exact same thing.. :lol:

Anyways thanks for your reply muminbrum. I have considered the possibilty of travelling via city centre would be much cheaper and probably same length.

Justs seems alot of ppl advise the closest school is best but in this case I am not so sure. We will be popping in BV tomorrow or Wednesday morning so maybe ill get a few of my questions answered there. It would be nice if i could find a buddy for my son in my local area to travel with.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

A couple of points to think about:

1 hour 15 each way adds up to an awful lot of time spent travelling over the next seven years - work out just how much compared to the nearer/quicker options.
extra curricular activities and fixed time buses don't mix well
orianagirl

Post by orianagirl »

Don't forget KE Aston have great sports field facilities at their Trinity Road site including brand new tennis courts. Also I believe they have been granted planning permission for an offsite staff car park which is going to free up space on the school site for building a brand new catering facility etc. (think the details are in one of the 'Fortnightly Comments' on their website).

I wouldn't let the size of a school's site sway your decision too much (but I am probably biased as my DS is in yr 7 at Aston and loves it) it is the standard of teaching and pastoral care etc. which are the important things. Consider how your DS feels about each of the schools you are considering and the travel to them? After all he will be spending 7 years there.

Good luck with your choices :-)
zuhud

Post by zuhud »

Godfather when you put it that way it does seem petty but i think my real issue is the facilities and area.

KE Aston is the closest but i just did not expect it to be so small and next year the classrooms will be increasing from 26 to 30. My ds already spent his primary years in a very cramped but good school and i just feel he deserves something better after all the hard work and effort he has put in.
zuhud

Re: Hodgehill to BV or KEFW ?

Post by zuhud »

Thanks for your replies.

I have decided that FW is not feasible anymore due to the time spent travelling and i appreciate that long distances combined with fixed greenbus ttable can make after school clubs difficult.

My choice still lies between KE Aston and BV. I think dc will end up spending the same amount travelling to either schools.

Does anyone here know if children are allowed to enter school premises early eg 0800 - 0815. My issue is both parents work so we can only drop dc st bus stop or train station.

:shock: yesterday was the first time he stepped onto a train station, he didn't even know what a platform was :shock:
orianagirl

Re: Hodgehill to BV or KEFW ?

Post by orianagirl »

KE Aston allows pupils into the library at 8.00 and the dining hall (for breakfast) at 8.10. there are a lot of boys around at this time as many of the buses arrive around 8.05 ish so he wouldn't be on his own.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now