100%??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fm

Post by fm »

To Ah,
NON-VERBAL: About 80 in 15 mins. Last year--insects. 3 different sections. Series. Analogies. Most alike. All concerning the configuration of insects. Suggestion: Practise Learning Together with similar time demands while warning her she may have to apply the acquired skills to insects/flowers/ who knows what. Most children said easier than NFER.
VERBAL 1. Select passages and then alter for him to practise proofreading. So far no speech. Mainly the odd apostrophe, missing capital, full stops and incorrect spelling (canos instead of canoes, beleive instead of believe etc.).
2.Practise selecting vocab from choice of 4. Make hard. 74 in 10 minutes. Train to guess and move on immediately if she/he really doesn't know the word. Vocabulary Builder for sale on this site is a fairly useful tool.
3. Missing word in passage. 6 passages. Up to 10 words missing in each passage. Selection of 4 possible words. Quite close in meaning. Again make up your own. Nothing really available in shops.
MATHS: Straightforward maths dropped last year. Now one section. 30 questions--about 25 mins. Magic square, word problems, diagrams, graphs, puzzles. A variety according to children. Cover Bond Assessment Papers by all means but possibly practice some hard word problems and some primary maths challenge papers (free on their site).
Hope this helps. Best of luck.
ah

Post by ah »

To fm,

Thank you so much, much appreciated.

ah
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear FM

Its so nice to see a fellow tutor providing help for 11 plus parents.

Welcome.

Why don't you register, its totally confidential.

Patricia
fm

Post by fm »

Dear Patricia,

Thanks. What's the difference if you register or not? To be honest, I've been trying to avoid going onto the forum too much--it's a bit addictive and I'm terribly busy at the moment.

The reason I've supplied advice is because reading some of the posts has been also quite useful to me as parent and tutor so I felt I should give something back.

Regards,

fm

Post by Guest »

fm wrote:Dear Patricia,

Thanks. What's the difference if you register or not?

Regards,

fm
Dear FM,

I was hoping you'd register, so that I could send you a private email regarding tutoring my son, next year (for 08 KE test). Is it possible to contact you?

Regards,
DC.
confusedmom

Post by confusedmom »

Dear FM many thanks for the information - I'd like to say that my daughter has the intelligence but I obviously dont cause what bit about insects did they ask...... I know this will probably be really obviuos to every one else but I just want my daughter to be informed of what to expect as my nerves are already getting the better of me! It stupid really -thanks for explaining more...... in advance! :? :wink: :lol:
fm

Post by fm »

To DC,
Sorry already fully booked for exam November 2008.

To Confused mum,

A typical analogy would be something is done to one shape to transform it into another, do the same thing to this shape and what do you get. In KE you might have this insect becomes this insect (say 2 spots added to its back) so what does this inspect become--select from a choice of 4 or 5. Similarly series, this insect becomes this then this, what will the next be. Or here are two insects, which of the five below are most alike-- e.g. the two insects might have squiggly feelers so pick the one with squiggly feelers.
This is a bit of a simplistic explanation (but it is as good as I've had from any of my pupils post-exam). Bascially you have to advise her to take all the techniques she has learned and apply them to whatever form the exam takes. It could be flowers. Two petals become three petals so etc. etc.
All the children I've tutored have said it is easier than NFER apart from the very clever ones who dislike the unfamiliar and aren't used to having to read questions and really think about things.

Hope this helps.
ah

Post by ah »

Hi fm,

Would it be possible for you to give me your details for future, my email is:

aji3@hotmail.co.uk

much appreciated.

ah.
confusedmom

Post by confusedmom »

squiggy feelers is right at my level! Thanks but it is as you say the ones like my daughter who can quite easly do "normal" non-verbal but dive them something different and they also freeze with panic but I really do thank you :) just have to wait for inspiration on the day :roll:
fm

Post by fm »

To confused mum,

I wouldn't worry too much. My bright ones who didn't like them still gained entry into their first choice KE. They just resented having to actually think for a second or two. The less able but good listeners always know they have to work at things so they reacted better. It's only this month I've managed to get my own child to stop glancing at questions, expecting to know the answer instantly and giving up if she doesn't. She is finally engaging her brain, thank God.
As to bugs/flowers/possibly back to shapes in the non-verbal, I suspect (or maybe just hope) they do a few practice ones.
Also, it is possible to get into the KE schools, having made a mess of one section. One of my former pupils is at Camp Hill and he swears he did no more than 50 of the 75 shapes; another knew absolutely none of the synonms and he achieved entry.
Finally try not to worry or you'll pass it on to her. Focused is what you want-- not anxious.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now