Cloze Queen marys Walsall

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: Cloze Queen marys Walsall

Post by ToadMum »

Those of us at least who have watched the opening episodes of "The Bridge II" on BBC Four tonight know that a boat and a ship are actually different things under maritime law :lol: and I wouldn't say, personally, that "coat" and "jacket" were synonymous, although it is pretty obvious what the required answers are in the examples.

Given what others have said about CEM tests, my advice would be to try to prepare your DS for a variety of possible systems for recording answers. It would seem a bit off to use one system for the familiarisation paper and another for the real thing, though.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
KenR

Post by KenR »

As mentioned previously in other posts, I would recommend that you use some of the tools available to make your own cloze tests covering both Cloze Type 1, 2 and 3 formats mentioned by DIY Mum. It's quite straightforward. See the Sticky's and other posts

Below is a sample Cloze Type-2 I created from an actual comprehension passage used in a previous CEM B/Ham Consortium 11+ exam. This will give you an idea of the words you might expect in the actual exam which is based typically on a reading and vocab age of 14+. (You should note that CEM example papers are not representative of the actual level of difficulty - this normal for CEM is often something that throws a lot of children. Expect and prepare for the worst and your child will cope and perform much better in the exam.)

Easter Island's End
By Jared Diamond, in Discover Magazine
August 1995

In just a few centuries, the people of Easter Island wiped out their forest, drove their plants and animals to extinction, and saw their complex society 1[ascend, terminate, spiral, augment] into chaos and cannibalism. Are we about to follow their lead?

Among the most riveting mysteries of human history are those posed by vanished civilizations. Everyone who has seen the abandoned buildings of the Khmer, the Maya, or the Anasazi is immediately moved to ask the same question: Why did the societies that erected those structures disappear?

Their vanishing touches us as the disappearance of other animals, even the dinosaurs, never can. No matter how exotic those lost civilizations seem, their framers were humans like us. Who is to say we won't succumb to the same fate? Perhaps someday New York's skyscrapers will stand 2[sterile, derelict, proud, subdued] and overgrown with vegetation, like the temples at Angkor Wat and Tikal.

Among all such vanished civilizations, that of the former Polynesian society on Easter Island remains 3[unsurpassed, common, precarious, inhospitable] in mystery and isolation. The mystery stems especially from the island's gigantic stone statues and its impoverished landscape, but it is enhanced by our associations with the specific people involved: Polynesians represent for us the ultimate in exotic romance, the background for many a child's, and an adult's, vision of paradise. My own interest in Easter was kindled over 30 years ago when I read Thor Heyerdahl's fabulous accounts of his Kon-Tiki voyage.

But my interest has been revived recently by a much more exciting account, one not of heroic voyages but of painstaking research and analysis. My friend David Steadman, a paleontologist, has been working with a number of other researchers who are carrying out the first 4[hollow, systematic, spade, superfluous] excavations on Easter intended to identify the animals and plants that once lived there. Their work is contributing to a new 5[genesis, interpretation, library, antiquity] of the island's history that makes it a tale not only of wonder but of warning as well.

Easter Island, with an area of only 64 square miles, is the world's most 6[subterranean, precarious, passive, isolated] scrap of habitable land. It lies in the Pacific Ocean more than 2,000 miles west of the nearest continent (South America), 1,400 miles from even the nearest habitable island (Pitcairn). Its 7 [equatorial, strategic, subtropical, Antarctic] location and latitude-at 27 degrees south, it is approximately as far below the equator as Houston is north of it-help give it a rather mild climate, while its volcanic origins make its soil 8[arid, toxic, fertile, desert]. In theory, this combination of blessings should have made Easter a miniature paradise, remote from problems that beset the rest of the world.

The island derives its name from its "discovery" by the Dutch explorer Jacob Roggeveen, on Easter (April 5) in 1722. Roggeveen's first impression was not of a paradise but of a wasteland: "We originally, from a further distance, have considered the said Easter Island as sandy; the reason for that is this, that we counted as sand the withered grass, hay, or other scorched and burnt vegetation, because its wasted appearance could give no other impression than of a singular poverty and barrenness."

The island Roggeveen saw was a grassland without a single tree or bush over ten feet high. Modern botanists have identified only 47 species of higher plants native to Easter, most of them grasses, sedges, and ferns. The list includes just two species of small trees and two of woody shrubs. With such flora, the islanders Roggeveen encountered had no source of real firewood to warm themselves during Easter's cool, wet, windy winters. Their native animals included nothing larger than insects, not even a single species of native bat, land bird, land snail, or lizard. For domestic animals, they had only chickens. European visitors throughout the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries 9[counted, estimated, interpolated, calculated] Easter's human population at about 2,000, a modest number considering the island's fertility. As Captain James Cook recognized during his brief visit in 1774, the islanders were Polynesians (a Tahitian man accompanying Cook was able to converse with them). Yet despite the Polynesians' well-deserved fame as a great seafaring people, the Easter Islanders who came out to Roggeveen's and Cook's ships did so by swimming or paddling canoes that Roggeveen described as "bad and frail." Their craft, he wrote, were "put together with manifold small planks and light inner timbers, which they cleverly stitched together with very fine twisted threads. . . . But as they lack the 10[knowledge, incision, pigment, energy] and particularly the materials for caulking and making tight the great number of seams of the canoes, these are accordingly very leaky, for which reason they are compelled to spend half the time in bailing." The canoes, only ten feet long, held at most two people, and only three or four canoes were observed on the entire island.

With such flimsy craft, Polynesians could never have colonized Easter from even the nearest island, nor could they have travelled far offshore to fish. The islanders Roggeveen met were totally isolated, unaware that other people existed. Investigators in all the years since his visit have discovered no trace of the islanders' having any outside contacts: not a single Easter Island rock or product has turned up elsewhere, nor has anything been found on the island that could have been brought by anyone other than the original settlers or the Europeans. Yet the people living on Easter claimed memories of visiting the uninhabited Sala y Gomez reef 260 miles away, far beyond the range of the leaky canoes seen by Roggeveen. How did the islanders' ancestors reach that reef from Easter, or reach Easter from anywhere else?

Hope this helps
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

Thanks sooooo much DIYmum, Toadmum and kenR :D you've all given me great insight into the cloze types i've purchased the cloze book from this forum and it seems quite challenging for my Ds so we're going to give them a miss atm and make up my own and try building it up from there... thats for that advice. Yes Toadmum i'm going to step by step work on each cloze, fingers crossed he'll get used to them with time.
Thank you :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now