Time to remove head from sand.....

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nicolajane1971

Time to remove head from sand.....

Post by nicolajane1971 »

Hello all,

Happy New Year!! I can't quite believe that having only just recovered from DS (he has now started at BV and oh so very happy), DD is in year 5 and we really need to get moving on the basics with her. I'd love to know your thoughts on the practicalities of handling it all myself, some of you may recall DS was a 'last minute' effort, a handful of sessions with a tutor (who was fantastic but has now disappeared off the face of the earth), and a lot of test practice supervised by mum and dad. DD is a completely different child, every bit as bright as her brother BUT she insists she just wants to go to the local comp (which is great but questionable on catchment for us). Time to pull out the big guns and tell her that she will only get into the local comp if she sits this one little exam..... oh how truly evil is that?
ToadMum

Re: Time to remove head from sand.....

Post by ToadMum »

If you would genuinely be happy with a place at the comprehensive if push came to shove, then why not be a little more truthful with her? You wouldn't mind her going there AND it can certainly go down as an option BUT the catchment area issue may be a problem SO taking the 11+ (and hopefully passing!) just gives her more possibilities. She can always put the comp on her form, but if she decides that she does fancy one of the grammar schools, naming one is only a realistic option if she at least takes the exam in the first place :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
nicolajane1971

Re: Time to remove head from sand.....

Post by nicolajane1971 »

Thanks Toadmum, of course it was just a joke about the exam for the comp - I genuinely wouldn't mind her going there if it was guaranteed, but facts are facts. It is not. Our preference will always be the grammars and now being in the position of being able to compare the comments of my DS and his friends (who are at comps), we feel fairly justified in that feeling. That said, DD is so much more organised than DS, keen to please etc that she is most likely one of those kids that will do well wherever she goes. I think its the thought of having to do it all again. Vile.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now