Latest school league tables

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
atom8

Latest school league tables

Post by atom8 »

Latest national school league tables have just been released – view via the BBC or education.gov.uk web sites. All the usual suspects at the top of the table again. Bishop Vesey appears to have nudged in front of Five Ways, albeit by just 1% - pretty arbitrary difference at this level.

Good to see Perry Beeches Academy going from strength to strength – right up there with the top performers.

Also interesting to see that KES and Camp Hill boys appear not to have posted results this year. Is this something to do with them favouring the Baccalaureate now?

Although school league tables have received their fair share of flack from various camps in the past, I’m sure parents still find them very useful. It would be
interesting to hear views on how useful parents find them.
sbarnes

Re: Latest school league tables

Post by sbarnes »

OK, I'll bite; what factual data is used when you say that Camp hill favours baccalaureate system?
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

oh dear! there is no need to bite.... just to explain that there is no IB at CHB :wink:

atom8, do you have any proper link to post ? your message prompted me to go onto the DfE website, but the school are not listed in order in the page I checked.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

its on the education web site on the front page
atom8

Post by atom8 »

Oh dear indeed! My post wasn’t meant as an invitation to bite – merely canvassing opinion about school league tables.

My question about KES and CHB possibly favouring Baccalaureate was meant as just that – a question, not a statement. I wouldn’t know if CHB favour Baccalaureate, GCSE’s or those little stickers in the shape of gold stars. I just wondered why there wasn’t any 2013 information for them in the latest league tables. Maybe I should have phrased my question differently.

Regarding the DfE web site – if you click on any of the headers at the top of each column, the table will re-order the schools in ascending or descending order for that particular column. The default is ‘School name’ in alphabetical order. So if you click on ‘2013’ it will put the schools in rank order from 100% down to 9%. This column shows ‘% achieving 5+ A*-C GCSEs (or equivalent) including English and maths GCSEs’, which is the usual benchmark most schools are judged on. Hope that makes sense. Or try the following link.

http://www.education.gov.uk/cgi-bin/sch ... o=330&pg=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still curious to know what people think of league tables……..
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I personally take them with a pinch of salt, particularly primary school league tables.
Our ps did incredibly well on league tables a few years ago but...and it is a big but...there were several big learning gaps imo were filled by the middle class keen catchment and exceptionally high level of one parent being at home to give extra help and support. The dynamics of the school have since changed, it has fallen off its league table perch, but I strongly believe the teaching has in fact improved.

As for the two grammars I know about, the league tables seem based on results over past years, not accounting for the exceptional improvements of one of the two schools, it's better facilities and improved site.

Personally I always try and feed into the local school unless there is local knowledge that I think it worthy of giving it a swerve. You really cannot beat local or friends and family information when choosing a school.
Thegodfather

Post by Thegodfather »

Is it because both KES and Camp Hill do IGCSEs?
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

I didn't realise CH are doing iGCSE too but if they are then I think that might be the reason they are both not in the tables.
UmSusu
Thegodfather

Post by Thegodfather »

This definitely mentions igcse:

http://www.camphillboys.bham.sch.uk/abo ... s/physics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

yes, KECHB do iGCSE's. No modular science subjects or course assessment; straight forward exams after 2 years
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now