If your child does not get into a grammar school please read

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
AK loving Dad

If your child does not get into a grammar school please read

Post by AK loving Dad »

I know the feeling of not getting a place. It was a very bleak day for us two years ago. DD got the double whammy of a low score (179) and not getting a place at any of the schools (results were issued in March back then).

....but DD is doing well now and actually learnt a huge amount about exam pressure, working hard and if anything it spurred her on to well at Secondary School to the point that where I was told that the school would like her to plan to do a number of GSCEs "considerably earlier than normal".

I hope this helps - please PM me if I can help with any more information.

1.Keep in touch with the forum. There are a number of really helpful people here. Even if is to find out more about the prospective school please just post a question and one of us will help.

2. It seems that if your child is fairly high up the waiting list theres still a good chance they could get in.From what I can tell in some cases, children up to 25th on the waiting list were eventually made offers last year.

3.The Grammar schools all seem to have more relaxed criteria for admission into their respective 6th forms. One would have thought that A-levels grades carry more weight for admission into University, so not a bad place to do them!. Broadly, you would need A grades at GSCE in the subjects DC would wish to study at A-Level, plus good results in English and Maths. Most of them seem to take a significant number of new children into the 6th form.(interestingly some choose to leave at this point as well so it shows not every child is suited to a GS).Best to visit the school websites for 6th form entry criteria, as I may be wrong but I do know of a number of children joining lthe grammar schools at 6th form from their local comp.

4.KES [and KEHS?] admit a significant number at 13+ and combining this with the increase in Assisted places (AP) publicised may avail an increase number of AP places at 13+.

5. Some scholarships are still available. As posted elsewhere, Priory School for example has at the time of writing, a number still up for grabs. They also offer Assisted Places at that school.

6. It always pleases me to see how many many children from non-selective schools go on to “Elite” or “Selective” universities. There is a very useful table that the Financial Times publishes each year which shows this and the link to BBC website version is shown here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-14069516" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amazing to think some kids work so hard and end up at the top universities having not been to a grammar or independent and long may it stay that way.Surely these kids have what it takes to do well in life!

6. The new University of Birmingham School (plans to be opened next year) has a four areas called “nodes” that it will admit from.
However they estimate that initially the net will have to be cast quite wide as they would need to find 75 children in Year 5 now near the School and a lot more for the sixth form who will all need to apply this October. By appointing Mr Roden from Camp Hill boys this is clearly a statement of intent and the premises plans look very impressive.

The link to their website is shown here:

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/university/ ... index.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know this is no good for this year but if you have a younger child it might be worth considering.

7. It is possible to gain a place at a good independent school like EHS in Year 8 onwards as well. Some girls have joined just time to start their GCSEs there. I also did not know that a number of the independent schools have AP and scholarships for entry into their sixth forms.
Optimist

Re: If your child does not get into a grammar school please

Post by Optimist »

We have not come this far to be hit with pangs of pessimism. What will be, will be. DC gets into grammar school or local comprehensive. A no brainer to me.
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

Love your post AK!

If you don't get what you wanted, do not take it as a rejection, but a redirection. Wise words from a poster a few years back. Her daughter did not make it into Grammar school, but is now in all the top groups at her local comp and teachers are predicting all A*s at GCSE.

Grammar schools are not everything. I know a few who have gone there, but not done as well as their peers in comps.
Natalie74

Post by Natalie74 »

Love your post AK you're always so supportive to everyone.

Reeyah, I came across that fabulous comment too when I was scrolling through previous posts. It's so true. X
Scooby73

Post by Scooby73 »

AK, Thank you for the thoughtful and inciteful post. It's really helpful to people like me. DS wasn't offered an AP at KES but was offered a FP place and we're not sure if he'll secure Camp Hill, could you explain how KES are able to take children at aged 13 please as this is something mentioned to me in the past. How does it work? Also, my DS has probably scored enough for Five Ways, does anyone have a child there and would you recommend it/ are they and you happy with the school? Thanks
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

Scooby73 wrote:AK, Thank you for the thoughtful and inciteful post. It's really helpful to people like me. DS wasn't offered an AP at KES but was offered a FP place and we're not sure if he'll secure Camp Hill, could you explain how KES are able to take children at aged 13 please as this is something mentioned to me in the past. How does it work? Also, my DS has probably scored enough for Five Ways, does anyone have a child there and would you recommend it/ are they and you happy with the school? Thanks
I have a son there and he loves it. It is coed, so like real life :wink: , has excellent facilities, and seems to be a very caring community. He is in Year 7 and they don't appear to work them too hard in the first year, and the homework is not excessive. Have lots of clubs and societies. The school is well served by the Green Bus.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Scooby73 wrote: DS wasn't offered an AP at KES but was offered a FP place and we're not sure if he'll secure Camp Hill, could you explain how KES are able to take children at aged 13 please as this is something mentioned to me in the past.
I asked KES admissions about 13+ entry last year. The exam is sat in January of Year 8 (same day as the 11+). I was told they don't really have a lot of room for entry at 13+, usually 4 or 5, depending on how much movement there might have been since Year 7 .
UmSusu
Wolves mum

Post by Wolves mum »

If places are available at 13+ does that mean children are asked to leave because they are struggling in the Grammar Environment or is that just a Chinese whisper?
AK loving Dad

Post by AK loving Dad »

Scooby73 wrote:AK, Thank you for the thoughtful and inciteful post. It's really helpful to people like me. DS wasn't offered an AP at KES but was offered a FP place and we're not sure if he'll secure Camp Hill, could you explain how KES are able to take children at aged 13 please as this is something mentioned to me in the past. How does it work? Also, my DS has probably scored enough for Five Ways, does anyone have a child there and would you recommend it/ are they and you happy with the school? Thanks
The KES website states up to 10 places at 13+. However, it is best to call them and ask to speak to Mrs Phillips, Director of Admissions on 0121 415 6056. By all accounts, Five Ways is a great school. Good Luck.

AK.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Wolves mum, I don't think it is the norm for schools to do that. I was referring to 13+ entry at KES the Independent school though. Some movement over the the first two years is inevitable and it may be that some leave at 13 for entry to other public schools or they have the room to take on a few more when they reshuffle things then.

ETA: it seems from AK Dad's post that they are talking about 10 places now.
UmSusu
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now