Allocations Thread 2014

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Happy dad

Re: Allocations Thread 2014

Post by Happy dad »

All scores are standardised for age of child when test taken.
brit

Post by brit »

Having found out last year's lowest entry score for wghs was 271, I am very proud of my dd 308. Just wish she had been a year older lol.
indigop

Post by indigop »

WGHS has had a massive jump of its last score in. I wonder if last years score was a bit of an anomaly or the school has just been a lot more popular this year. x
brit

Post by brit »

I wondered that too. Has the entry policy changed from last year at all?
diseyp

Post by diseyp »

I am a bit puzzled as the QMGS score seems to have gone up quite a bit (but not QMHS) yet the Birmingham scores, generally, have dropped .. given that QM and some of the KE schools have extra places how can this be ? .. am I being bit thick ? :?
Wee

Post by Wee »

I have a theory about the dramatic rise in WGHS cut off.

Last year when parents were advised of the results they were told their DDs rank and the last ranking to be admitted the year before, which I believe was around 146. They were not told the score.

I think that many parents whose DDs were beyond position 146 on the list did not then bother to put WGHS on the CAF, thinking they had no chance of addmittance. This then left the way open for those much further down the rankings, and consequently with a lower score, to 'chance their arm' and gain a place.

Just a theory, what does anyone else think?
brit

Post by brit »

That does seem like a possibility. When I went many moons ago, only 90 girls got places, I was 93, got in when a few dropped out. The numbers made more sense then, it was a lot clearer where you stood.
indigop

Post by indigop »

I think that's probably right actually. In regards to Qmhs they did add a few extra places but Sutton girls added 30 and I would say that Sutton tends to be the preference so that might explain why qmhs has only gone up a bit.
Professor Yaffle

Post by Professor Yaffle »

AliceM wrote:Hi Professor Yaffle, I haven't posted or been looking at the site for a while but wanted to say so sorry your DD didn't get into Newport Girls. Very best wishes to you and your DD wherever she goes to school and you never know she might make it in from the waiting list.

Xx

Hi AliceM. Thank you :D

Hope all is well with you and your DS xx
Handbags

Post by Handbags »

Re the wghs and the wait lists, their website states........

Waiting List
Following completion of the annual co-ordinated admissions procedure, should places then become available, girls will normally only be considered for admission if their standardised score in the entrance test is within 2% of the girl with the lowest score to have been offered an automatic place at initial offer stage.

So on this logic if the last offered place was 318, does that mean you would need to be around 311 or over to be eligible for a waiting place? (if one becomes available)
That's a big jump on last years final offered place of 297

Wolverhampton council said they would have rankings in the next two weeks and whilst they did expect some movement she didn't believe it would be very much!