Allocations Thread 2014

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Professor Yaffle

Re: Allocations Thread 2014

Post by Professor Yaffle »

brit wrote:Having found out last year's lowest entry score for wghs was 271, I am very proud of my dd 308. Just wish she had been a year older lol.
Hi brit

hope you don't mind me asking but can you please confirm where this score came from as the results letter in September stated last entry was for score 297.

Also did you manage to find out any information regarding waiting lists?

Thank you
brit

Post by brit »

Sorry it came from my poor memory or inability to type, 297 is correct for last year. Waiting lists are being compiled and should be ready later in the week.
Professor Yaffle

Wee wrote:I have a theory about the dramatic rise in WGHS cut off.

Last year when parents were advised of the results they were told their DDs rank and the last ranking to be admitted the year before, which I believe was around 146. They were not told the score.

I think that many parents whose DDs were beyond position 146 on the list did not then bother to put WGHS on the CAF, thinking they had no chance of addmittance. This then left the way open for those much further down the rankings, and consequently with a lower score, to 'chance their arm' and gain a place.

Just a theory, what does anyone else think?

I think this could be very true. There were only 121 first preferences (211 in total) for entry in 2013 when rankings were given out compared to 371 (590 in total) for entry in 2012 and 369 (574 in total) for entry in 2011. This is a drastic reduction. It will be interesting to know if the number of preferences went back up this year.
brit

Post by brit »

Handbags wrote:Re the wghs and the wait lists, their website states........

Waiting List
Following completion of the annual co-ordinated admissions procedure, should places then become available, girls will normally only be considered for admission if their standardised score in the entrance test is within 2% of the girl with the lowest score to have been offered an automatic place at initial offer stage.

So on this logic if the last offered place was 318, does that mean you would need to be around 311 or over to be eligible for a waiting place? (if one becomes available)
That's a big jump on last years final offered place of 297

Wolverhampton council said they would have rankings in the next two weeks and whilst they did expect some movement she didn't believe it would be very much!
Ah that doesn't bode well for my daughter then. Will hope for a miracle.
Professor Yaffle

brit wrote:Sorry it came from my poor memory or inability to type, 297 is correct for last year. Waiting lists are being compiled and should be ready later in the week.
Thank you.
Wee

Post by Wee »

Professor Yaffle wrote:
Wee wrote:I have a theory about the dramatic rise in WGHS cut off.

Last year when parents were advised of the results they were told their DDs rank and the last ranking to be admitted the year before, which I believe was around 146. They were not told the score.

I think that many parents whose DDs were beyond position 146 on the list did not then bother to put WGHS on the CAF, thinking they had no chance of addmittance. This then left the way open for those much further down the rankings, and consequently with a lower score, to 'chance their arm' and gain a place.

Just a theory, what does anyone else think?

I think this could be very true. There were only 121 first preferences (211 in total) for entry in 2013 when rankings were given out compared to 371 (590 in total) for entry in 2012 and 369 (574 in total) for entry in 2011. This is a drastic reduction. It will be interesting to know if the number of preferences went back up this year.
Also, last year was the first year when the wghs test was taken as a practice by students later taking the test in other areas. Their scores would have been in the ranking sent out to parents but they wouldn't necessarily have put the school as an option on their CAF. Parents who wanted a place at WGHS for their DDs would then have thought their child further down the ranking than they really were and again decided not to bother to apply.
brit

Post by brit »

Have found out today that 308 is 44th on the wghs waiting list. Hope that is useful to people.
dhill76

Post by dhill76 »

Do many people turn down places at wghs?
brit

Post by brit »

Wouldn't of thought more than 5 tbh, but I suppose it is a possibility if girls got into more than one school in different areas. Therefore they would have filled in more than one caf. Although I still wouldn't think more than 10 even then. Being an old girl I know that a few drop out in the first year, usually those that were over coached to pass the test that then struggle with the work when they are there.
school cynic

Post by school cynic »

DD's friend missed out at QMHS at 315. Seems 316 was the cut off.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now