A few surprises then?!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

z-g

Re: A few surprises then?!

Post by z-g »

:lol: :lol: :lol: You make it laugh Goodmanj.
Natalie74

Post by Natalie74 »

Goodnanj that's brilliant! What a lovely idea. Congratulations to you. Hope you're all having a lovely meal. X
school cynic

Post by school cynic »

It's been a difficult couple of days for us. DD got a grammar school offer but DS didn't. Not only that, he didn't get his first comp choice. We will appeal for the comp and put him on the waiting list for grammar but it's so uncomfortable as we've had to play down DD's achievement. And we've had a few calls from friends congratulating DD which hasn't helped. Well meaning all the same. She's been brilliant with him and he's been putting on a brave face but I know he's struggling with it really. All I am able to do at the moment is show him that I'm doing all I can to help him get into his school of choice.

I totally understand how those whose children got into their chosen grammar feel elated but also the other side of those feeling disappointment. Shame I have to feel them both at the same time! Wholeheartedly proud of my twins, not just about the Eleven Plus but their understanding and maturity about the whole situation. They'll be just fine!

Well done to those who got their offers of choice, and even those who didn't. They've all worked extremely hard and whether it's a grammar or comp one thing is for sure, they'll shine due to this whole experience.
OldTrout

Post by OldTrout »

school cynic wrote:It's been a difficult couple of days for us. DD got a grammar school offer but DS didn't. Not only that, he didn't get his first comp choice. We will appeal for the comp and put him on the waiting list for grammar but it's so uncomfortable as we've had to play down DD's achievement. And we've had a few calls from friends congratulating DD which hasn't helped. Well meaning all the same. She's been brilliant with him and he's been putting on a brave face but I know he's struggling with it really. All I am able to do at the moment is show him that I'm doing all I can to help him get into his school of choice.

I totally understand how those whose children got into their chosen grammar feel elated but also the other side of those feeling disappointment. Shame I have to feel them both at the same time! Wholeheartedly proud of my twins, not just about the Eleven Plus but their understanding and maturity about the whole situation. They'll be just fine!

Well done to those who got their offers of choice, and even those who didn't. They've all worked extremely hard and whether it's a grammar or comp one thing is for sure, they'll shine due to this whole experience.
Hello School Cynic:

I saw your post and felt I should write, especially as I'm also one of those parents whose child didn't successfully gain entry to a grammar school.

First off no single exam will ever be a precise summary of your child's abilities - it's a blunt instrument - our only means of determining who might take advantage of a grammar school opportunity. (I suspect the reality is that if all schools were like grammars (well educated teachers, well resourced, inspiring tuition, high standards) many more children would do well academically).

Second - I don't know your DS's score - but Okanagan is now posting scores positions on the wait list in her first post on the 2014 allocations thread here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 11&t=36340 - so perhaps this will give you some hope.

Third - AK Loving Dad wrote a very useful post offering advice for parents whose children are not successful here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 11&t=36289 - there is some great advice there. Several people then go on to post about the 13+ (which is something I didn't know about).

Fourth - Although being at a great school can be a real help - it is also down to the child. Today we parents are so lucky - there are so many more resources to support learning with the internet - that explaining osmosis or homeostasis is now a breeze (e.g. wonderful MIT website supporting education K - 12: http://k12videos.mit.edu/)

Fifth - they've got you in their corner.

It is heartbreaking when your child doesn't get the opportunity or make the cut - but life is funny - swings and roundabouts. Don't dismiss the school he's off to - you may well find it has what he needs right here and right now. My little fish has a great friend who also didn't pass this year's 11+, but her cousin is an inspiration to her and my little fish. This girl was at a senior school - now in special measures - who have showered attention on her, helped her with extra resources and challenged her with extra tough homework assignments. She's got all As on her GCSE's and this past September started sixth form at a King Edward Grammar School. She's done her very run of the mill, ordinary state comprehensive proud, she had a great time there and still sees friends & teachers and she's thoroughly enjoying her time at a KE Grammar in sixth form, determined to go on and do well.

It is possible. Your DS is NOT written off at age 11. It won't be easy. It will require hard work. But going to a comprehensive - even one which on paper looks dire - is not necessarily a death sentence for his progress as a student.

Hope that helps.
school cynic

Post by school cynic »

Thanks so much OT. The information you've provided is excellent. May even read some of it out to him.

He's found someone else in his year that also got an offer from the same comp. We'll still appeal to the comp he wants to go to and put him on the waiting list for the grammar although he got 311 for QM so the wait may be a while if at all. Lol!

They both know that if one or both of them got an offer got an offer from a grammar that separation was inevitable. The reality has just sunken in now. It's odd for me too, I've always had the benefit of both children at the same school at the same time. Going to be an experience doing a school run to 2 different schools. As it is, more often or not they're just in time for the bell or slightly late. :roll:
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Don't worry, things have a way of working out and everything works for the best.

I have had a school run to three different schools for some time, and often the "order" of the school run i.e who gets dropped off first, second etc changes according to timetable/heaviness of bags (and who hasn't done their homework or needs to revise for a test :roll: ). I'm often a bit stressed for the first few days of the academic year but have it down to a fine art now and have even worked out routes that go against the main flow of traffic! :)
FairyDust13

Post by FairyDust13 »

OT, What a lovely post, i will be keeping this along with AK Loving Dad's post for future reference.

Best wishes to you and your little fish...where ever she goes.

Good Luck school cynic!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now