Thoughts on BV and general travel issues.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
WhoDaresWins

Thoughts on BV and general travel issues.

Post by WhoDaresWins »

Hi all,

Although, I've not had official confirmation yet. Based on cut-off scores and other offer details posted on here it would appear our ds2 has secured a place at BV, which is our 2nd choice to QMGS (QMGS - was first option because its 5 minutes away; ds1 is already there and thus far its prooving an excellent school).

My questions are:

Does anyone else's dc do a journey from Walsall to BV; how is it and how long do they take on average?

How do other dc and dp find BV?

Is there much difference academically / pastoral care wise between BV and QM?

Thanks in advance and best of luck to those waiting for results.
nicolajane1971

Re: Thoughts on BV and general travel issues.

Post by nicolajane1971 »

My son is in Y7 at BV, we are fairly local to the school so can not comment on the journey from Walsall but the school is excellent, my DS is happy, committed and doing very well - they send out a quarterly report card in order that you can see how they are doing which is really useful, I don't think all of the grammars do that.
For us, we felt a long journey was not something that we wanted our DS to do - the amount of homework that BV set is fairly high and if you combine that with longer travel times, the days all of a sudden get far too short! Hope you received the results that you want.
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

Just to add to nicolajane1971's comments.

The journey from Walsall to BV, when I was looking at the journey for my DD to QMHS from Sutton Coldfield, the normal WM number 6 bus stops just outside BV and the same for QMHS. I'm not sure where you would catch it from for QMGS. The journey was about 30 to 40 minutes.

DS2 is at BV and very happy there with a steady amount of work and good, caring teachers. Academically, I would say they are on par, if you go by exam results.

Hope that sort of helps.

Thanks

Elbart
WhoDaresWins

Post by WhoDaresWins »

NicolaJane ty for your reply. What you have said is very reassuring. Overall, for me wat splits the two schools is distance with QMGS being much closer. However, if my son fails to make QMGS; I'm waying up travel times with quality of GS education.

Once again thanks for your input.
nicolajane1971

Post by nicolajane1971 »

If it's only 30-40 minutes as per Elbart I really wouldn't worry, we are very local to BV but my DS sits on the bus on the Lichfield Road for that long! He could walk it quicker!
WhoDaresWins

Post by WhoDaresWins »

Ty both...I take it that a 30 - 40 minute commute each way is considered acceptable / reasonable.
newbiemum

Post by newbiemum »

my ds in yr 7 bv and he has a few friends from walsall. also bournville, moseley, solihull, droitwich etc all over so travel wise i know a fair few are not too local and come by train and bus. he loves the school i cannot fault it at all and its doing really well. very happy! :)
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

The NetworkWM journey planner reckons about 40 minutes on the bus (no doubt depends on traffic, but usually starts off closer to home) or about 50 minutrs by train (if reliable, but then theres the time to and from the station to add).

Website is http://jp.networkwestmidlands.com/centr ... anguage=en

It might be good to run a survey on this forum as to travels times to the various schools. I'll go looking for any such previous posts.
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

Oh, and does the Greenbus go there?
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

The green bus doesn't go to BV unfortunately, or at least not currently.

My ds attends KEFW and travels from Wolverhampton area. The green bus journey was initially an hour each way, which I thought was the limit of commuting for a child. However, the Green Bus he used was axed after one half term :evil: and the re-routed other Green Bus service now regularly takes 90 minutes - that is when it doesn't breakdown. I believe that is too long, but currently we have no alternative.