Tricks of the Trade - CEM preparation TIP#1

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

southbucks3

Re: Tricks of the Trade - CEM preparation TIP#1

Post by southbucks3 »

(
I do remember he read the Cherub series during the end of yr 5) -
Wow what a good little reader! Ds1 and all his gs friends discovered these at the end of year 7, they were very very popular!
You are right though, pushing them to do something they hate will never work well. Ds3 is a big reader, but hates small text in long paragraphs and big chapters, so we take the time to find him great books within his specifications. He also loves illustrations, there are so many books he loves if i take the time to search with him or for him and ask on here of course. I would never assume that because a book is popular he will read it well, Harry Potter has not been touched, nor has Northern lights, even though he adores other Pullman books.
Encouragement encouragement encouragement. :D
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

southbucks3 wrote:(
I do remember he read the Cherub series during the end of yr 5) -
Wow what a good little reader! Ds1 and all his gs friends discovered these at the end of year 7, they were very very popular!
You are right though, pushing them to do something they hate will never work well. Ds3 is a big reader, but hates small text in long paragraphs and big chapters, so we take the time to find him great books within his specifications. He also loves illustrations, there are so many books he loves if i take the time to search with him or for him and ask on here of course. I would never assume that because a book is popular he will read it well, Harry Potter has not been touched, nor has Northern lights, even though he adores other Pullman books.
Encouragement encouragement encouragement. :D
He's always loved reading and especially loves a good series! I think it appeals to his slightly obsessive nature maybe. I think some of the later Cherub (from what I understand aobut them) may have gone over his head slightly (as possibly did the Hunger Games) but I do think children self sensor. He's reading the Gone series at the moment. Dd (year 4) is a much more reluctant reader and I'm trying to psyche myself up to getting her to read more (well to be truthful I'm totally ignoring the situation :lol: ) - she'd far rather just rearrange her teddies or draw a picture :D . Ds read 1 chapter of Harry Potter and announced they were dull and that was that!

Have you tried Wonder and Maggot Moon? Both books ds and I loved and lots of short punchy chapters (there is one act of extreme violence in Maggot Moon where a child is killed but it is contextual). Maggot Moon is written from the perspective of an extremely dyslexic child (and was written by someone who's dyslexic) who has gone through life being told he was thick - I found it really powerful - it's set in a violent dystopian world. I'm afraid I'm slightly obsessive about books - I'm one of these nutters who likes to smell them :lol: :lol:

Not tried him on Pullman - thank you! Will give it a go.

edited to say that despite his love for reading ds has spent this morning slumped on the sofa in his onesie, staring at Instagram on his ipod and playing some ghastly beepy music channel on the TV at full blast whilst dd is cuddling the dog and playing Sims on my ipad - clearly we need to raise our intellectual level somewhat at the moment. :D
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

Come on guys....let's keep it friendly 8)

You do want me to complete part 2 of the vocab list don't you :)

Sona
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Yes please sonasona!!!
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

This thread has been split as it wandered seriously off topic. A couple of quotes belowfrom posts which were moved, but did contain some information which is on topic.
southbucks3 wrote:Back to cem tricks of the trade:

Lots on vocab..thank you sonasona :D any extra hints on maths and nvr, the practice material list by diy mum is superb btw.

Do 3d cubes feature often, along with nets they are the hardest imo.
southbucks3 wrote:Now: once again back to cem tricks. :roll:
Timing and speeding them up is essential, if like mine they hate being timed, then produce a quick test, or page of work just before they are due at footy, or a friend's house, or the school gate. They swiftly get it done without realising they are in essence being timed, I then mark it while they are gone and we go over it together later on their return. My ds3 has sped up hugely since I started doing this, and he knows the deal: delay work, delay play or be late for school..which he really hates and never is!
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Okanagan wrote:This thread has been split as it wandered seriously off topic. A couple of quotes belowfrom posts which were moved, but did contain some information which is on topic.
southbucks3 wrote:Back to cem tricks of the trade:

Lots on vocab..thank you sonasona :D any extra hints on maths and nvr, the practice material list by diy mum is superb btw.

Do 3d cubes feature often, along with nets they are the hardest imo.
southbucks3 wrote:Now: once again back to cem tricks. :roll:
Timing and speeding them up is essential, if like mine they hate being timed, then produce a quick test, or page of work just before they are due at footy, or a friend's house, or the school gate. They swiftly get it done without realising they are in essence being timed, I then mark it while they are gone and we go over it together later on their return. My ds3 has sped up hugely since I started doing this, and he knows the deal: delay work, delay play or be late for school..which he really hates and never is!
Well Done Okanagan - we can always rely on you to get most of us on the right path. Guys- let's keep it clean.....no need to veer off track - everyone's on the same boat :D
um

Post by um »

Last few weeks have been very busy but I have wanted to contribute something heartfelt to this discussion.

It's for parents of younger children - I am talking about age 3 to 7 - who I find regularly contact me to ask what they can do in terms of 11 Plus prep.

Yes, really :( .

Please be aware that your child has a very short childhood as it is. They don't need to be sitting completing workbooks, managing lots of internet website tests and 'quizzes' or feeling any pressure about their ability.
They need to play.
When I teach older children, it is often the children who have been 'hothoused' like this who find it the hardest to 'be present in the moment', to concentrate, to enjoy learning, and to engage confidently with new concepts. To put it bluntly, starting tuition and workbooks too young is genuinely detrimental to a child's ability to gain a grammar school place.
Young children need time to play. Abundant play in which children enact roles, interact with others, and express emotions in a safe context. During open-ended play—when children are free to be creative, inventive, and productive— learners find ways to apply leadership skills and. in-depth knowledge.
Superior language abilities are not developed through golden star sticker books and parroting the alphabet at age 2. They are developed while communicating meaningfully with peers and adults.

I hope this helps. I will try in the next day to post on what can be done for children once they have reached eight years old.
OldTrout

Post by OldTrout »

um wrote:Last few weeks have been very busy but I have wanted to contribute something heartfelt to this discussion.

It's for parents of younger children - I am talking about age 3 to 7 - who I find regularly contact me to ask what they can do in terms of 11 Plus prep.

Yes, really :( .

Please be aware that your child has a very short childhood as it is. They don't need to be sitting completing workbooks, managing lots of internet website tests and 'quizzes' or feeling any pressure about their ability.
They need to play.
When I teach older children, it is often the children who have been 'hothoused' like this who find it the hardest to 'be present in the moment', to concentrate, to enjoy learning, and to engage confidently with new concepts. To put it bluntly, starting tuition and workbooks too young is genuinely detrimental to a child's ability to gain a grammar school place.
Young children need time to play. Abundant play in which children enact roles, interact with others, and express emotions in a safe context. During open-ended play—when children are free to be creative, inventive, and productive— learners find ways to apply leadership skills and. in-depth knowledge.
Superior language abilities are not developed through golden star sticker books and parroting the alphabet at age 2. They are developed while communicating meaningfully with peers and adults.

I hope this helps. I will try in the next day to post on what can be done for children once they have reached eight years old.

Just wanted to agree with um on this. There really is no point stressing about the 11+ until your child is well into KS2 (Y4 at earliest).

My advice would be KS1: support learning to read/ support early maths skills (additions or subtractions with numbers to 100/ counting at intervals (early prep for multiplication tables). Encourage reading and read to your child. Encourage pleasure in learning new things. Encourage their interests: The solar system, dinosaurs, Romans, Egyptians, etc... - they'll learn a ton of vocabularly just through that. Indeed my little fish learned 'arch nemesis' from reading a Pokemon comic book whilst on holiday.

My advice KS2:

Y3: Start to be aware of whether your DC is where they should be or ahead. If they're behind (and my little fish was) recognise this fact and start to remedy it. For us it was maths at home - it probably will be something different for you - but the point is Y3/ Y4 is a great time to make up any lost ground in a slow, steady and relaxed way - 10/ 20 minutes here and there - not overkill.

Y4 late/ Y5 early: start making decisions yourself (& with your child - certainly my little fish came to me and said she wanted to go for the 11+ in Y5). Parents guide to the 11+ from Bond is a really useful intro to this whole process and has an assessment test that will help you decide whether your child is 11+ material. Interestingly little fish was borderline on this initial assessment and remained borderline come the actual test.

Y5 (although some start Y4): is about workbooks/ on-line tutorials/ tutors (if you go that route)/ DIY tutoring (our route). Try to introduce variety and the best advice I had when we did longer sessions in the summer in the run up to the test Sept of Y6 - is take breaks - go out and throw a frisbee. Go buy an ice cream if they got a great score on a practice paper and enjoy a walk in the park.

I took the attitude that preparing for the 11+ was about getting my child to a level I felt a good primary student should be at by Year 6. I think it is important not to make this about passing or not - that puts too much pressure on your child. Make this about the process of really ensuring your child is well prepared for secondary - any secondary.

Year 5 is a long slog preparing for the 11+ and parents around you can seem a bit wild eyed about hiring tutors, having their child complete a practice paper a day and read 3 books a week, etc... But a lot of the 'pressure' is actually about worry - genuine fear of their child going to a sink school, genuine fear that an ordinary comprehensive in Birmingham won't be a good fit for their child, worries over gangs/ drugs/ peer pressure, desire to get their child away from bad influences/ bullies, etc....

Every parent has their personal motivations for encouraging/ supporting the decision to take the 11+ (so don't judge too harshly) - but as an individual do decide what you're happy to live with.

I have a very dear friend who has pushed her daughter like mad for two years in the run up to the 11+ and the independent KE exam. It's now clear their relationship (which was very close) has turned incredibly sour. I hope not permanently - but it's heartbreaking to see a mother who sat for months by her child's incubator having nearly lost this girl at birth - who often slept in the same bed as the child, because she was poorly - now has a child that barely speaks to her and usually only to criticize her or say something rude. They had such a loving relationship and now it's in tatters.

Please be careful my friends. I'd have loved my little fish to have passed the 11+ - but that's too high a price to pay. The mother's only consolation is that at least her daughter passed and is off to the school she wanted her to go to - but my goodness, what if she hadn't passed?
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

I agree wholeheartedly with um and OldTrout. A friend of mine was told by the Head at a top prep school that children just needed to be happy in school to the age of 8. This prep school takes kids from a right old mix of primary schools and gets them into all the high flying independent schools you can think of.

Up to Year 4, kids should be only learning to enjoy school and to love learning. Of course you can encourage them in that by putting good materials their way - great books, fun online activities and thought provoking board games. But starting a study regime at a very young age seems counterproductive if our aim as parents is to help children learn to learn for themselves.
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

As promised, the complete list 8) ...............

Abode house residence dwelling habitat domicile quarters
Abundance profusion plenty wealth copiousness
Alert attentive vigilant observant ready
Altitude height elevation loftiness
Antiquity relic artefact remains
Apprehensive anxious worried nervous hesitant concerned
Benefit advantage profit use value subsidy allowance
Bewildered confuzed puzzled bemused baffled disorientated dazed
Clemency mercy leniency compassion moderation kindness
complex multifaceted compound composite intricate convoluted complicated
concave dipped hollow curved in
Conceited proud vain superior snobbish smug narcissistic
Conclusion deduction assumption inference supposition decision finale
content gratified satisfied relaxed substance matter subject
Contract agreement bond convention diminish shrink wither treaty
convex curved arched bowed
counterfeit fake forged imitation phony reproduction
Covet want crave hanker desire yearn for
Coy shy bashful modest timid demure diffident
Debrief question interrogate interview examine quiz probe
Deliberate cautious considered metodical wary thoughtful intentional premeditated
Demolished destroyed devastated ruined thrashed devoured annihilated
detrimental harmful unfavourable negative injurious damaging
Device machine tool contraption mechanism apparatus
Din noise racket disturbance commotion instil pandemonium
Dismal gloomy depressing drab grim murky
Drought lack dificiency scarcity famine dearth
Emerge arise appear occur develop materialise
evaluation assessment appraisal estimation calcualtion costing
exposure acquaintance revelation coverage publicity experience
Feign pretend fake simulate invent assume
Flamboyant ostentatious exuberant confident lively buoyant animated energetic vibrant vivacious extravagant theatrical showy
Foe enemy adversary rival antagonist opponent
frivolous jokey light-hearted facetious fatuous inane shallow superficial senseless thoughtless
gentle kind kindly tender benign humane lenient merciful forgiving forbearing sympathetic considerate understanding clement compassionate benevolent
Gregarious sociable social company-loving companionable convivial clubbable
Habitat haunt locale surroundings environment territory
Helix spiral coil curl corkscrew twist twirl loop gyre whorl scroll
high tall lofty towering soaring elevated
Humble meek deferential respectful submissive self-effacing unassertive unpresuming
Inaugurate initiate begin start institute launch
Incision cut opening slit
Inconspicuous unobtrusive unnoticeable unremarkable unspectacular unostentatious unimposing undistinguished unexceptional modest unassuming discreet hidden concealed
Inferior lesser second-class second-fiddle minor subservient lowly humble menial
Intense great acute enormous fierce severe extreme high exceptional extraordinary harsh strong powerful potent vigorous
interpret explain elucidate expound explicate clarify
Nauseous sick nauseated queasy bilious
nurseryman a worker in or owner of a plant or tree nursery
obscure unclear uncertain unknown in doubt doubtful dubious mysterious hazy vague indeterminate concealed hidden
Orthodontist a dentist specializing in the prevention or correction of irregularities of the teeth
passive submissive acquiescent unresisting yielding unassertive non-resistant compliant complaisant pliant resigned obedient docile tractable malleable pliable meek subdued deferential forbearing
Perplexed puzzled
physiotherapy the treatment of disease, injury, or deformity by physical methods such as massage, heat treatment, and exercise rather than by drugs or surgery
Pigment the natural colouring matter of animal or plant tissue
polarity difference separation opposition contradiction
Pompous lf-important imperious overbearing domineering magisterial pontifical sententious grandiose affected stiff pretentious puffed up arrogant vain haughty proud conceited
Precarious uncertain insecure unreliable unsure unpredictable undependable risky hazardous dangerous unsafe
resort centre spot retreat haunt use utilize
Rigid stiff hard firm inflexible strict severe stern stringent
Shrink contract diminish lessen reduce decrease dwindle narrow shorten slim decline condense deflate shrivel wither
Subdued sombre low-spirited downcast sad dejected depressed low gloomy despondent dispirited
Submissive compliant yielding malleable acquiescent accommodating amenable tractable manageable unassertive non-resisting passive obedient biddable dutiful duteous docile ductile pliant meek timid mild patient resigned forbearing subdued humble self-effacing spiritless
Subterfuge trickery intrigue guile evasion deceit deception dishonesty
subterranean existing occurring or done under the earth's surface
superfluous surplus redundant unneeded
Tempestuous turbulent stormy tumultuous violent wild ‘lively’ heated explosive uncontrolled unrestrained feverish hysterical frenetic frenzied frantic
Tranquil peaceful restful reposeful calm quiet still serene placid relaxing soothing undisturbed idyllic halcyon mild pleasant
Trivial unimportant insignificant inconsequential minor frivolous superficial shallow unthinking
unfathomable inscrutable incomprehensible enigmatic incalculable indecipherable obscure esoteric abstruse puzzling cryptic deep immeasurable
Uniform constant consistent steady invariable unvarying unfluctuating unvaried unchanging unwavering undeviating stable static sustained regular fixed even equal equable monotonous
Unorthodox unconventional unusual uncommon unwonted out of the ordinary radical revolutionary nonconformist irregular offbeat abnormal extreme divergent aberrant anomalous bizarre outlandish
vicarious indirect second-hand secondary derivative surrogate substitute
Volatile tense strained fraught uneasy uncomfortable charged explosive eruptive inflammatory turbulent unpredictable changeable variable inconstant inconsistent uncertain erratic irregular unstable turbulent unsteady unsettled unreliable undependable
Wide gaping broad extensive spacious open vast
wound insult blow slight offence affront
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now