Mock Exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
walsallmum

Re: Mock Exams

Post by walsallmum »

hi happy robot yes i have the detailed report. its just that whats a weakness one week becomes a strength the next and vica versa!
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

Is there anyone at home who can help her understand the bits she is getting wrong?
Otherwise ask the exam people what they would recommend.
We explained to DS the bits he didn't understand and that helped him loads.
walsallmum

Post by walsallmum »

latest mock results shows DD as 'BELOW AVERAGE'

im convinced she is not as as it was a centre based mock my husband seems to think it was made with the centres own teaching methods.

Im not panicking - or should i be ???????????
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

If it helps my ds never did very well on any mock type papers but I always felt he was better than they indicated. He always said he would do better in the real thing and his biggest problem was sloppy mistakes and lack of concentration. As I said I always FELT his knowledge was better than his marks. I used to add up his sloppy mistakes and give him the mark he could have achieved. This seemed to help his confidence which is so important. He is now going to KEFW so please go with your feelings, encourage your dd and don't despair. Only one test matters. Good luck.
Ps try to do more yourself and don't rely on so called professionals to test your child.
walsallmum

Post by walsallmum »

hi rabbie burns

thats for that yes i do the same - its the same with my dd too sloppy mistakes.

Im busting a gut at home and live and breathe the 11 plus prep every minute im home. DD is a bright girl and it is a bit disheartening when mock results dont reflect that .

Great advice thanks but you are right - only the one test matters - lets hope she doesnt slack on the actual day!
guest201

Post by guest201 »

I think that if you do a mock at a study centre where your child doesn't study they start with a disadvantage because the children that go to that centre will have been taught towards the mock. My DD did a mock and didn't score very well but when I analysed the results I noticed she had done really badly in the vocabulary section (synonyms antonyms) clearly the children who went to the study centre had learnt the correct vocab for the exam as some children had got 100% in this section, that didn't worry me. She did badly in the maths section which did worry me so we concentrated on that over the summer, she passed with flying colours with a great score in maths.
walsallmum

Post by walsallmum »

Thanks Guest 201

ive decided im going to keep doing what im doing - shes made antonym and symonym cards which she looks over

ive seen an improvement in her maths and overall really.

As a parent or as dd we cant do any more
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What is the format of your exam? Were both mocks at the same study centre? Are there any local mocks that are not linked to a study centre? I am a big fan of mocks as I feel they really help students prepare for the reality of sitting an exam which is nothing like doing papers at home. There is only one test that matters which is why you should make all the mistakes you are going to make in the tests that don't matter. DG
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

Equally, poor mock results can destroy confidence. It depends on the child. Only you know your child and whats best for them. My ds would have hated formal type mocks which would not have helped the situation. He was happy to do mock type papers though and quite ok with the test on the day. In addition all you are doing is fuelling the 11 plus industry when most kids do not need their intervention. I repeat again, the approach depends on the child and you know your child best. Listen to others but do what you think is best. Good luck.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Yeah, drop the formal mocks, don't tell her she is classed as "below average" because she is obviously focussed already, it will just damage her confidence to keep doing them. Son number one did outside mocks, did terribly in all three, got nearly full marks in his real test, but he needed a bit of a kick up the bum before summer, over summer he was a trooper most of the time, doing half an hour most days. Do make sure you big up the alternatives as well as grammars though. I would go quiet on tests for a while, and just practice bits and Bob's, then try again at home with a simpleish paper. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now