lazy children at Grammar schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
silverysea

Re: lazy children at Grammar schools

Post by silverysea »

I disagree with that-some people do change profoundly and it's more common in younger people.
solimum

Post by solimum »

My bright but lazy DS1 coasted through school /6th form college leading to good GCSEs and not-as-good-as-they-could-have-been A levels, but got into Leicester Uni probably due to his Year in Industry Gap year experience. By his second year a combination of a very focussed girlfriend and the chance to finally drop the modules he wasn't interested in
produced a far more mature, hard-working but more importantly enthusiastic student, finally having found subject matter that grabbed him and so therefore prepared to look ahead and put the effort in across the board in order to be able to do more of the interesting stuff. He's now working all hours to write up his PHD.

Bit of a blanket summary - there were always subjects he would put the effort into at school etc, but it seemed to need a teacher he respected rather than simply conforming with a system. Sounds very similar to many of the earlier posts. His father hated school, despised most of his teachers and succeeded almost to spite the teachers who seemed (to him) only to be impressed by sporting ability rather than academic talent. Neither likes being told what to do by teachers or a "system". Once they find a niche where they can shine, the effort will come, and with increased maturity they will appreciate that you sometimes have to conform enough with a system you despise in order to escape it
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

I always thought the whole point of GS was to educate bright but lazy children! :lol:
ginx

Post by ginx »

My lazy dd2 in year 7 has end of year exams. She has heard that in past years students who can't cope with the work load get kicked out - and she is terrified of coming bottom (she won't) so I can't believe this; she has done some revision. Unbelievable. Long may it last!